G-Drive failed to connect a new drive

User

G-Drive failed to connect a new drive

Postby EHDD_HST » Feb 3rd, '14, 10:06

Hi there:

My G-Drive 500GB bought in 2008 died a few weeks ago. Because it is out of warranty, I bravely voided the warranty sticker and removed the dead hard drive. I bought a new 2TB, 7200, SATA III drive and try to continue to use the case because it is still in a good condition.

Unfortunately, it seems the old case with a Oxford chip (oxuf934dsb-LQAG) can not power up the new drive.
Is there a way I can do to let the old case power up the new drive? It is a putty to throw away such a beautiful case.

BTW, I connect this old case to a 1TB, 7200rpm SATAII drive, and the case failed to power up the SATA HD too. Thanks.

Re: G-Drive failed to connect a new drive

Postby Dustin F » Feb 3rd, '14, 10:58

Hi EHDD_HST,

Thanks for posting. If another sata 2 drive also won't power up, the issue may be with the controller of the enclosure or the power adapter. Finding an alternate power adapter would be the easier means to test. If it uses the standard single pin power adapter then you just need a 12V 2a adapter, if it is using a 4 pin or 5 pin power connector those can be harder to find.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby EHDD_HST » Feb 3rd, '14, 12:29

Thanks for your prompt reply. I do not remember whether it is a 4 or 5 pin power adapter. I have another G-Tech product which uses 5 pin power adapter. I'll give it a try later.

If the problem is the controller/card, is this the end life of this old enclosure? Does G-Tech have any old part in stock? Or any similar controller card available on the web?

Postby Dustin F » Feb 3rd, '14, 13:38

Hi EHDD_HST,

If the problem is the controller card we do not sell those individual parts. If you wished you would look online for the same unit either the part or one to cannibalize. Or simply buy a newer enclosure.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php