replacement drive specs for a module

User

replacement drive specs for a module

Postby groverstudio » Oct 4th, '12, 18:39

One of my modules (of 4 since I keep a duplicate in another town) has failed, and I don't know if I need to buy another module, or if I can simply purchase a drive to go into the mount. Can you let me know if I can just replace the drive, and if so, what specs I should look for? Each module is 2TB, and the drive was manufactured in 11 2010.
PN 0F10311

Thanks,

John

Re: replacement drive specs for a module

Postby Gene G » Oct 5th, '12, 07:44

Hi John,

Thanks for your post. You should still be within your 3-year warranty period, so you can request an RMA to return your failed drive for replacement. You can find the link on the left side of our Support page under Warranty and Returns. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby groverstudio » Oct 5th, '12, 08:51

Thanks Gene...I'm trying again today and it seems like it is updating. Last night the update sat at 0% for several hours and the drives got very hot. I'll see if it keeps going, but if not I'll do the RMA.

User

Postby jrankin2 » Jan 22nd, '14, 14:18

I have a G-Safe that is GEN4 V110.0503 with twin 1T drives that I would like to put a larger pair of drives in. I know you recommend HGST drives but I was wondering which ones for this unit. Should I stick with SATA II or can I go to SAT III? Do you recommend DeskStar 7200's or CoolSpin? Any recommendation will be most appreciated.

Thank You
jrankin2

Postby Dustin F » Jan 23rd, '14, 11:23

Hi jrankin2,

Thanks for posting. I would suggest to stick with sata 2 drives. The g-safe came with 7200 RPM drives but 5400 RPM should work. Make sure each drive matches. They should be same specs and preferably the same model and firmware. It should be able to handle up to 2TB with no problem.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-SAFE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php