8Tb Thunderbolt G RAID creating Raid1

User

8Tb Thunderbolt G RAID creating Raid1

Postby frencm » Feb 5th, '13, 23:10

How exactly do I create a mirrored Raid 1 config using my new 8Tb Thunderbolt G RAID drive?

I tried using Disk Utility and it did not work so I know I am doing something wrong.
Many thanks
Mark

Re: 8Tb Thunderbolt G RAID creating Raid1

Postby Gene G » Feb 6th, '13, 10:21

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your post. To create a RAID1 in Disk Utility, you must first delete the current RAIDset. Make sure you backup your data as this will destroy any data on the drive. Click on the G-RAID Thunderbolt on the left side of the Disk Utility window, then click on the RAID Tab. After deleting the current RAIDset, you will then see 2 unformatted drives on the left of the DU window. You can then create a new one by dragging each of the drives on the left into the RAID window, then select Mirrored RAID Set in the RAID Type menu, then name it, choose Format, the default is MacOS Extended Journaled, and click Apply. You should then see the new RAID1 appear on your desktop. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby dissenter » Jan 18th, '14, 04:06

Hi! Does it appears from this that 8TB Thunderbolt G-RAID drive may work as two independent disks?

Postby Dustin F » Jan 23rd, '14, 16:43

Hi dissenter,

Thanks for posting. Yes, in a JBOD mode (i.e. delteing the raid and formatting each drive) you can use each disk independently on the system.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby ataghit » Jan 27th, '14, 23:21

Hi,

Follow up questions. I will use Raid 1 to keep safe my music and photos. If one of the G-RAID drives fails the only way to replace it is sending the complete G-RAID to you? How long would it normally take?

Thanks

Postby Dustin F » Jan 28th, '14, 09:27

Hi ataghit,

If you are within the US RMA turn around time is usually between a week and a week and a half.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby ataghit » Jan 28th, '14, 13:43

Hi,

Thanks for your very quick reply. I am in the UK, same time frame?

I fully understand that opening the unit myself would void the warranty but if I cannot wait the 7 - 10 days of in house replacement... anything particularly delicate to consider.

Thanks and regards,

Postby Dustin F » Jan 28th, '14, 13:52

Hi ataghit,

In a raid 1 configuration if one of the drives failed you would still have access to the other drive normally. If for some reason the controller for the enclosure has a problem having a local computer store open the enclosure to recover the data and retaining a copy of the drive to include with the RMA would keep the warranty valid. The enclosure itself is straight forward enough with six screws on the bottom, the inner part would slide out then a few more screws holding the drives in place and sata data and power.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby ataghit » Jan 28th, '14, 14:44

Hi Dustin,

Thank you very much for the answer. If it helps your job/function at all I was about to return the drive but based on this info I have decided to keep it.

I am replacing an old WD My Book 2+2 Tb already full and way too slow over Firewire 800. Constant back up of media is paramount for me.

Regards,

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php