G-Drive Not writeable over FW800 on USB3 version

User

G-Drive Not writeable over FW800 on USB3 version

Postby cooper » Jan 8th, '14, 15:33

Forgive me if this has been posted already, a previous search did not turn up any relevant results.

I have several G-Drive 2TB enclosures with USB3 and FW800 ports. When connecting over FW800 on a Mac with OSX 10.7.5 there is a certain amount of time it will work and then it's like the drive locks up. Nothing can be written to it and it must be force ejected. I tried to install the firmware update:
http://support.g-technology.com/support ... -downloads
But that doesn't seem to make any difference.
It's fine to connect over USB3, I'm only having the problem with FW800.

Re: G-Drive Not writeable over FW800 on USB3 version

Postby Gene G » Jan 10th, '14, 11:35

Hi cooper,

Thanks for your post. Were you able to apply the firmware? Are you getting any error messages? Are you daisy-chaining or directly connecting the drive? Have you tried other cables? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby fungustoenail » Jan 13th, '14, 20:10

I do not understand this forum. I have the same problems with my G Drive 2TB model as noted by "cooper." I've posted twice to this forum and neither post has been recognized, confirmed, or acknowledged. If I cannot get some help with my new drive I am afraid that I will need to return to the site of purchase. Is there any fix for "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50.)?" I can read the drive at any time; but randomly the drive decides that it will not allow me to write to the drive...

Postby Gene G » Jan 14th, '14, 09:03

Hi fungustoenail,

Thanks for your post. The issue you are seeing may be taken care of with the firmware update mentioned earlier in the thread. Have you applied the firmware? If so, you sometimes may need to zap the PRAM and reset the SMC. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby fungustoenail » Jan 15th, '14, 16:14

Gene, thank you for the reply. I have updated the firmware. I have reset/zapped the PRAM and reset the SMC. Despite the aforementioned advice and application of the advice, the drive REMAINS a problem while trying to use it via FW800. After a complete restart of the computer the G Drive works just fine; but, for example, I went to work this morning; my wife came home at 3pm; used the computer; I came home at 6; tried to write to the drive and it does NOT allow me; I can read but NOT write to the drive. When I try to write to the drive (for example, create a new folder) I get the error message "The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -50))." Furthermore, I cannot eject the drive at this point; I get the message "The disk "G-DRIVE xxx" wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it. You can try to eject the disk again or click Force Eject to eject it immediately." This is upsetting to me, as I really wanted to use a FW800 drive to free up a USB port on my iMac (my iMac is a few years old and does NOT support USB 3.0). I should not have to constantly force eject a drive or reboot a drive to write information to it. If there are no further suggestions to get this drive to work over FW800 I am going to be forced to return it to the site of purchase. Is there is any other advice that you can offer to me??? Thanks.

Postby Dustin F » Jan 17th, '14, 08:22

Hi fungustoenail,

If you have applied the firmware update and also reset the SMC and PRAM but the problem persists, returning or exchanging drive would be the best course of action.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby jonibygg » Jan 17th, '14, 12:07

Dustin F wrote:Hi fungustoenail,

If you have applied the firmware update and also reset the SMC and PRAM but the problem persists, returning or exchanging drive would be the best course of action.

I have the same problem as the others on this thread and I wonder if it helps if I get a new drive of the same type. Or is it money back and buy another brand that solvs the problem with "The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -50)."?

//Johan

User

Postby fungustoenail » Jan 17th, '14, 16:44

I thank you for replying. I must admit that I am surprised by your reply. It seems like G-Technology has just given up on trying to make this drive work properly over a Firewire connection. Since purchasing this drive and having problems I've spent considerable time reading information on the Internet and I am one of many experiencing this same problem. I will be returning this drive ASAP; I cannot have faith in a product when the best advice provided to me by the drive manufacturer is to return or exchange the drive. I have to admit it seems very surprising to me that a new firmware update or even some type of software patch cannot be implemented to make this drive function properly via FW800 on a Mac computer.

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php