G-drives no longer park when ejected

User

G-drives no longer park when ejected

Postby antallon » Jan 9th, '14, 07:53

I'm using Mavericks (10.9.1). Since updating to Mavericks my several 2TB G-drives no longer park (i.e. spin down) when I eject them. I'm obliged to shut them off (which I think auto parks them). Any fixes for this? And am I damaging the drive by shutting it off while spinning (but after being ejected)?
Thanks

Re: G-drives no longer park when ejected

Postby Gene G » Jan 13th, '14, 10:08

Hi antallon,

Thanks for your post. I have not run across this issue, but will research what I can find. It is OK to turn the drives off after unmounting, that is the proper procedure. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby antallon » Jan 13th, '14, 13:58

Perhaps I wasn't clear about what I meant by unmounting--the drive is still spinning; it simply has been removed from the desktop of my Mac. Before Mavericks, this didn't happen (the drives spun down). The console indicates this:

1/9/14 11:19:40.017 AM fseventsd[64]: disk logger: failed to open output file /Volumes/Adhemar/.fseventsd/fc0074cfe12ba6a0 (No such file or directory). mount point /Volumes/Adhemar/.fseventsd

The volume 'Adhemar' is a G-Drive 2TB connected via firewire (via thunderbolt adaptor).

Any idea what all this means?
Andrew

Postby Dustin F » Jan 14th, '14, 09:01

Hi Andrew,

I have seen this happen here and there on systems running 10.9 when they were upgraded by more than one major os version (i.e. 10.6 or 10.7) On clean installs of 10.9 we do not see this problem. It seems to be caused by lingering files left over by the older version of the OS, possibly drivers. Might be best to speak to apple to see if they have a solution for it.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby antallon » Jan 14th, '14, 09:06

As you probably know, your suggestion to 'speak to Apple' will most likely fall on deaf ears--when there are specific device related problems such as this pretty much the only solution is to go to the support staff of the device. You said you have seen this problem before: can you tell me what was done to resolve it?
Thanks.

Postby Dustin F » Jan 15th, '14, 08:16

Hi Andrew,

The only thing we have seen work consistently is a clean reinstall of the operating system, not an upgrade.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby antallon » Jan 15th, '14, 14:47

With all due respect, that seems a pretty huge hammer to use to hit such a small problem. Have you guys not tried to figure this out more directly? I'm not going to reinstall my entire system (a process that would involve countless hours of work) because of a G-tech firmware problem...
Is there really no other solution?
THanks.

Postby Dustin F » Jan 17th, '14, 08:08

Hi Andrew,

It is not a firmware issue, it is system specific and has been something we cannot replicate in our labs. That has been the only solution we have found. If you want to speak to apple to see if they have any other suggestions you are welcome to.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php