Drive Failure?

User

Drive Failure?

Postby newstrings » Dec 29th, '13, 13:30

I have an 8TB G-Raid w/ Thunderbolt which I use as a Time Machine backup.

Increasingly over the past couple of months, the icon would not appear on the desktop and occasionally I'd get the Disk Was Unmounted error...now the disk appears to be damaged as it will not mount on multiple computers, and it crashes Disk Utility when I attempt to Verify, Repair or Erase. Screen grab attached.

Upon rare occasions, the disk DOES mount (like as I'm writing this...!) and I am still not able to erase or reformat it (second screen grab.)

Any help is appreciated!

OS 10.8.5
iMac
32 GB RAM
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 1.23.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 1.23.31 PM.png (152.24 KiB) Viewed 630 times

Re: Drive Failure?

Postby Dustin F » Dec 30th, '13, 10:09

Hi newstrings,

Thanks for posting. First off, you mentioned you have tried on multiple computers. Have you used a different thunderbolt cable with each computer or have you just tried with the same cable. If the same you may want to try with a different cable to make sure it is not providing a bad connection. I also noticed you used the erase tab with the raid slice drive. You could also use the partition tab and format free space to try removing the partitions if you can't delete the raid set itself. If that still isn't working then it is a problem with the internal hardware and can be replaced under warranty.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby newstrings » Jan 2nd, '14, 08:35

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did use different cables, and the drive continues to be un-mountable.

Can I get an RMA?

Thank you!

Postby Dustin F » Jan 2nd, '14, 09:11

Hi newstrings,

If it still does the same thing on a different thunderbolt cable RMA would be the best course of action. Please make sure you hang on to the thunderbolt cable as that would have been a separate purchase from the drive. You can file for a RMA here http://www.hgst.com/warranty/index_gtech_serial.do
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby newstrings » Jan 2nd, '14, 09:43

Will do now. Many thanks.

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php