Installing firmware with Maverick

User

Installing firmware with Maverick

Postby ullidirks » Dec 24th, '13, 06:33

Hi, I have downloaded G_Tech_Firmware_Update_Utility_Universal_v2.zip und it intalled. The App is not finding my G-Drive. It is connected by firewire and it´s the only one.
The Problem because I want to update the firmware is, that TimeMachine sometimes does not find the drive. But if, it is working fine.Any hints?
Merry Christmas, Ulli

Re: Installing firmware with Maverick

Postby Dustin F » Dec 24th, '13, 10:00

Hi Ulli,

Thanks for posting. The firmware update is for g-drive generation 5 which have usb 3 and firewire 800. Is the drive connected directly to the computer or is it through a hub of some kind? Have you confirmed that the computer can see the drive at all? Does the drive mount? If not does it appear in disk utility and or system report? If you can't see the drive from any of these it is not merely a firmware issue.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby ullidirks » Dec 25th, '13, 15:06

Okay. My G-Drive is 2Tb. I don't know which generation it is.
I do see my drive every where in my system. Only TimeMachine tells me (sometimes) it cannot backup because the drive ist write protected, which is it definitely not.
Regards Ulli

Postby Dustin F » Dec 26th, '13, 11:12

Hi Ulli,

When you get the error see if you can copy a file to in manually. If you are able to the issue with with time machine. If you can't then it may be the drive. If you have usb 3 and firewire 800 it is a generation 5. If you have usb 2 and firewire 800 and esata then it is generation 4.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby ullidirks » Dec 26th, '13, 12:10

Thank you. I have Usb 2.0. If the error pops up again I will try what you topf me.

User

Postby ullidirks » Jan 3rd, '14, 07:27

After longer time without using the G-Drive it disappears in the finder. Also Time Machine cannot find it. If I go and make a check with disc-utility there are no erros and the disc works perfekt. But I still cannot see it in the finder!

Postby Dustin F » Jan 3rd, '14, 08:18

Hi ullidirks,

When this occurs and you see it listed in disk utility does it list as mounted or unmounted? This is a very strange occurrence. One thing I might suggest is to reset your smc and pram on your computer. It could be something within one of those causing the instability. If it persists after that we could see about replacing the drive under warranty.

SMC reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

PRAM reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby ullidirks » Jan 10th, '14, 12:57

Hello, just to let you know: I´ve only done the SMC Reset last weekend. And wow, since that my drive works very fine. Knock on wood.
Thanx for your help.
Ulli

User

Postby ullidirks » Jan 28th, '14, 12:28

Next problem to solve: My g-tech drive is not going to sleep. The Mac is into hibernate but the g-tech drive is still running. Any hints?
Ulli

Postby Dustin F » Jan 28th, '14, 14:45

Hi Ulli,

If you are running mavericks on older hardware things like spotlight indexing may still be active in the ram while in hibernate. You can disable indexing in spotlight and see if it persists.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Next

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php