speed problem

User

speed problem

Postby quasar » Dec 6th, '13, 16:54

I have a new G Raid 4T hooked up via USB3 to my dual quad core Win7 machine. The drive is formatted as NTFS. I ran a speed test on the drive using the BlackMagic speed utility. My results have been consistant: READ 141.7MB WRITE 107MB. This is about the same speed I'm getting with my other 7200rpm drives that are no on a RAID. I don't know what the problem is. I tried using the G-Tech configuration utility to determine if the drive is set as Raid 5 instead of Raid 0 but the utility does not advance past the "searching for compatable drives" screen even if I let it sit there for an hour. Also, when attempting to use the configuration utility, the drive will disappear completely from my system. I have to reboot to have it show up again. Can anyone offer any advice? Do I have a defective drive? I bought the G-Raid because it boasts speeds up to 250MB/sec and I'm not getting anywhere close to that.
Thanks!
James

Re: speed problem

Postby Dustin F » Dec 9th, '13, 11:34

Hi James,

Thanks for posting. In testing our G-Raid with usb 3 in our lab I saw results of both read and write of about 200MBps. We usually test with aja system test which is a free utility. I would suggest running it for comparison to see if there is a result difference. You can also try different usb ports and cable to try and remove other variables. Do you also have any other usb 3 drives to run a speed test for further comparison. You can download aja system test here: http://www.aja.com/en/software
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby vpowell100 » Dec 13th, '13, 08:53

My G-Raid 4T drive has started running extremely slow. I took 4 hour to download 13 Gig of image using Lightroom. I ran disk warrior to check the drive and replace the directory. the drive is still running very very slow. The drive had about 4 gig of space left so I tried deleting some files. I now have 35 Gig of free space and not running any faster. Please advise as to my options since this is my primary data working drive. Reading and writing from the drive are both very slow.

Victor
Powell Creative Services

Postby Dustin F » Dec 13th, '13, 10:47

Hi vpowell100,

Thanks for posting. Filling up a drive that much can greatly decrease performance. For optimal performance you should have at least 15-20% of any given drive or array free.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby vpowell100 » Dec 13th, '13, 11:18

Thanks Dustin,

Is that an issue only with drive arrays? Because this is my main working drive I need to know what to lookout for as my volume inscrease.

Victor

Postby Dustin F » Dec 16th, '13, 08:54

Victor,

Whether it is a single drive or an array either way it needs the free space to move data around to keep sectors from being written too much causing excess ware to the platters. 15-20% is the minimum you should have free 25% is ideal.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php