Space Problem

User

Space Problem

Postby stcroixscuba » Dec 10th, '13, 10:50

I recently used my G-Drive Slim to restore my Macbook Pro's new hard drive and it worked flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with it.

Now, however, as I'm trying to maintain the backup of the new hard drive I'm getting this error message:

Time Machine couldn't back up to "G-Drive slim"

The "details" revealed are:

The backup disk needs 285.88 GB for the backup but only 236.87 GB are available..........

I haven't added anything significant since the restore. Both my hard drive and the G-Drive have 500GB capacities and the hard drive is only at the 286GM shown in the error message.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

Re: Space Problem

Postby Dustin F » Dec 11th, '13, 08:22

Hi stcroixscuba,

Thanks for posting. While you can restore to the new hardrive from the previous backup time machine sees the drive as being from a different computer since the system was reinstalled. Time machine wants to do a fresh back starting over with a new time machine file. You can format the drive to remove the old backup file and begin time machine again.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby stcroixscuba » Dec 13th, '13, 06:24

That worked beautifully. Thank you and Merry Christmas

User

Postby dawnjoy » Jul 22nd, '14, 07:14

I have the automatic backup setup from my Mac, and I also add specific files to store. After running out of space I deleted many GB's worth of data, but it did not change the amount of space available! I tried deleting/transferring more data, but there was no effect. Is there a way to properly delete items? What am I missing here. Thanks!

Postby Dustin F » Jul 23rd, '14, 08:30

Hi dawnjoy,

Once you delete files from an external drive the space will not be freed up until you empty the trash on the computer with the external drive connected.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE slim

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php