G-RAID becomes read only after spin down

User

G-RAID becomes read only after spin down

Postby smooky » Nov 3rd, '13, 08:48

Hello. I'm an editor and I've used your products for years, but the latest batch of G-Raids (8TB with the new square sATA plug) seem to be different now. I use them for video media while editing and have set the drives to never spin down. All my previous G-Raids have listened but these latest ones will spin down even though I've marked them to not spin down in my preferences for my mac. I'm running Lion. Now, if I stop editing for ten minutes to write an email, the drive spins down and when it spins back up, it won't allow anything to be written to it. The editing software can still read the drive, but nothing can be written to it, including saving my work. It also won't allow itself to eject, so I am forced to simply restart the computer. At first I thought it might be a bad drive, so I switched to my backup, but ran into the exact same problem. Obviously, this is time consuming, annoying, and is deal breaker for future drives and I will be forced to use a different product, as I can't be editing and not be able to save to a drive. I fear this might some sort of unwanted "green" feature built into the firmware to save power, however, my work and time is far more valuable than saving a little on energy costs. Is there anything I can do to make these drives work like the old ones where they never spin down? Or is this an isolated problem that happened to occur on both my main hard drive and the back up?

Thanks in advance.

Re: G-RAID becomes read only after spin down

Postby Dustin F » Nov 4th, '13, 11:16

Hi smooky,

Thanks for posting. We have been seeing this issue with some g-raid generation 5 (i.e. usb 3 and fw 800). We have been having trouble replicating the error in our labs and at this time are taking in as much information as we can. If you could please respond in a private message with your os version, connection type, the specific errors that you receive, and serial number that would help us a lot. In the meantime there is a measure that we have seen work in some cases. Resetting the SMC and PRAM on the computer sometimes resolves the issue. I am including links on how to perform these resets.

SMC reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

PRAM reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby wdeatrick » Nov 6th, '13, 05:13

I am having a very similar problem with my new 8TB G-RAID external drive used for Time Machine backups over FW800 on my Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. My initial backup was successful but the next day I found a backup error that referenced "error = -50". I also could not manually create files or folders on this volume due to the same error. I could not even eject the volume because "one or more programs may be using it". Force-ejecting and remounting allowed me to write to the drive, but after another period of time (allowing drive to sleep?), the problem recurred. This behavior has happened consistently over the last week. My Mac Pro has OS 10.9 (Mavericks), 6 GB RAM, and 8 TB disk. I have tried the following without success:

- Disconnected and reconnected drive
- Used a different FW800 cable
- Tried different FW800 ports on both the Mac Pro and external drive
- Verified the external drive
- Added the external drive to the Privacy tab of Spotlight to stop indexing

Thanks, Will

Postby Dustin F » Nov 6th, '13, 08:13

Hi Will,

Thanks for posting. I noticed one thing you have not tried yet is the drive over usb. In most cases the issue does not carry over to usb. Since you are using time machine the speed difference should not be an issue. You can also try the SMC and PRAM reset that I suggested in my previous post. You have provided much data, I thank you for that as we are collecting information to look into the occurrence. If you could include the serial number in a private message that would be appreciated. Please let me know if the resets or using on usb works for you.

SMC reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

PRAM reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby smooky » Nov 6th, '13, 09:51

Glad to see I'm not totally alone in this problem. Not sure what to think. It certainly seems possible that it is something to do with later versions of OS attempting to work with these particular G RAIDs. I sure hope we can figure something out. This has made my life a little difficult, but more than that, anytime external drives with sensitive information on them are acting weird, it causes a lot of worry and stress.

Hopefully a solution will be found soon.

User

Postby JGRAID » Nov 26th, '13, 07:43

Is a solution available for this issue?

I have the USB/3 Firewire 800 drive that has this problem.

I have a MacPro 1,1 with 10.7.5.

After the drive spins up from idle mode, I am unable to write to the drive.

I have tried the suggestions described here, except USB.

Thanks.

Postby Dustin F » Nov 26th, '13, 08:38

Hi JGRAID,

Thanks for posting. If the SMC and PRAM reset did not work you can try using a program called keepdrivespinning as a work around. It will send a signal every few minutes to the drive to keep it from reaching a low power state. We can try replacing the drive under RMA as well, sometimes a different unit works sometime it does not. I think for the moment trying keepdrivespinning in the best approach.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby tb3 » Dec 12th, '13, 10:04

Same problem here. SMC and PRAM resets didn't help. The problems occurs over FW and USB, on different computers and different operating systems. Keepdrivespinning prevents the drive from spinning down, but drive performance drops suddenly after about 20 minutes.

T

Postby Dustin F » Dec 13th, '13, 10:27

Hi tb3,

Thanks for posting. If you are having issue with both connection types there may be an issue with the controller card for the enclosure. Replacing the drive under RMA would be the best approach. You can file a RMA here: http://www.hgst.com/warranty/index_gtech_serial.do
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby evero1 » Mar 8th, '14, 07:40

Hello,
I'm experiencing the exact same issue as original poster, only difference is i have a G-RAID 4TB drive (totally new). Using with FW800 on iMac late 2009 with OSX 10.9.2. I work as a film editor as well, and I'm worried about using G-RAID drives for my upcoming projects if I can't solve the issue with this drive. Thanks for helping out.

C

Next

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php