Drive won't appear anywhere.

User

Drive won't appear anywhere.

Postby Johnson » Nov 25th, '13, 03:25

Ok,

My G-Drive mini has been sitting on my desk for 3 months and suddenly will not connect to my macbook. When I plug it in and switch it on the lights turn on, I can hear the disk spinning and that's it. nothing. Nothing on the desktop or in the disk utility. Happened suddenly one day after no problems previously. The only thing I can think of that might have caused some kind of problem is a few days ago when I turned it on and quickly turned it off. on and off switch in the space of maybe 3 seconds, but I can't see how that'd break that damned drive. Lot's of important info on it and really need this to be ok. Is this something as simple as turning the laptop off for a few hours and trying again later, or what? No audio abnomalities, it's outwardly behaving as it always has.

Please help me.

Niall.

Re: Drive won't appear anywhere.

Postby Dustin F » Nov 25th, '13, 10:58

Hi Niall,

Thanks for posting. Can drive drive be seen under the connection listing in system report? (i.e. usb or firewire for whichever you are using) Does the problem persist across both connection types? Have you tested it with any other computers? Please let me know of the results.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Johnson » Nov 27th, '13, 20:42

Dustin F wrote:Hi Niall,

Thanks for posting. Can drive drive be seen under the connection listing in system report? (i.e. usb or firewire for whichever you are using) Does the problem persist across both connection types? Have you tested it with any other computers? Please let me know of the results.

System report gives me:
'FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec'

Which I'm sure is the default text. As for the the USB, I don't know as I left the USB connection at home (Currently living in another country).
I'll check it with a different computer tomorrow and let you know of the results. If the USB works and the firewire doesn't, that should just be a cable issue, right? Do Firewire cables regularly 'blow out' like that? I can't imagine how that could have happened. The drive has been sitting quietly on my desk for only 3 months!

Postby Dustin F » Nov 30th, '13, 11:31

Hi Niall,

If it does end up working on usb but not on firewire that could be the cable or the firewire port. You can try a different firewire cable if you have one to try and rule that out.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby Johnson » Jan 3rd, '14, 09:57

Hi Dustin,

So there's been no joy at all with various cables and combinations. The power still comes on but with no response at all. I have the form to receive a replacement hard drive but I need to do a data recovery to save the 700GB odd of information I have stored on the faulty one. So is it possible to have the replacement drive sent out to me for a number of days so I can do the transfer and then I can send you back the faulty one, keeping the replacement?

Niall

Postby Dustin F » Jan 3rd, '14, 10:35

Hi Niall,

If you have already created a RMA online you can call in to the support center to have it converted to a advanced replacement. Or if you prefer you can send me a private message with the RMA number and I can have our tech that handles advanced replacements give you a call to set that up. We would require a credit card to place a pre-authorization hold on the card while we send out the advanced unit. The phone number for tech support is 1-888-426-5214 the line is open 8AM-5PM PST Mon-Fri
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-DRIVE mini

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php