G-Speed eS with Thunderbolt

User

G-Speed eS with Thunderbolt

Postby neils » Sep 11th, '12, 14:35

I have this 6 TB G-Speed eS, which works fine in a MacPro.

Now I'm trying to connect the same G-Speed eS to a MacBook Pro over Thunderbolt. For this, I've just got a Sonnet Echo Express Thunderbolt to ExpressCard adapter and a Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard 34 adapter.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz i7 with 8 GB RAM and MacOSX 10.7.4.

My connections and cables are fine and Sonnet drivers are installed. With the above connected, I can access a single external eSATA drive in an enclosure.
Even a bare drive on a eSATA dock works fine. But when I connect the G-Speed eS, all four drive lights come on, and I get four windows on my MacBook Pro telling me I've inserted a drive that Mac cannot read. With the 'Initialize', 'Ignore', and 'Eject' options.

Of course, I clicked on 'Ignore' as the G-Speed contains data.

Also, in Disk Utility I see 4 separate drives, but no RAID. The same G-Speed eS works fine and all data is visible in a MacPro with a G-Speed card. It also works fine with a MacPro with a Sonnet Tempo SATA card E4P on another system I had tried earlier.

Incidentally, The Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard is port-multiplier aware.

Neil Sadwelkar
Yash Raj Films
Mumbai

Currently on assignment in Chicago.

Re: G-Speed eS with Thunderbolt

Postby Kenny M » Sep 13th, '12, 12:44

Hello Neil,

Your best course of action would be to contact Sonnet as their hardware is being used to convert the eSata to Thunderbolt. It's an issue where you are seeing the hardware connection, but not the software RAID and Sonnet might have a fix or software update.
Regards

Kenny M
G-Technology Technical Support

Postby Gene G » Sep 19th, '12, 10:03

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your post. I was reading over your post, and it appears you are attempting to read a RAIDset created with our 4-port card. If so, then it will only be able to be read on the MacPro that you created and are using the RAIDset on. If you would like to be able to use the G-SPEED eS on both your MacPro and MacbookPro, you will need to set it up as a software RAID in Disk Utility. First backup your data, as the procedure will wipe your data. Then open up the WEB GUI, where you are going to delete the current RAIDset. After doing this, you will set it up as 4 JBOD drives, which you will then stripe together in Disk Utility as a RAID1. After doing this you should be able to use it on both systems. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby KarlSutton » Nov 19th, '13, 09:16

Gene,

Would it be possible to use the controller card in an expansion chassis such as this;

http://www.magma.com/expressbox-3t for use with the upcoming MacPro?

Thank you,
Karl Sutton

Postby Dustin F » Nov 20th, '13, 09:43

Hi Karl,

Thanks for posting. In order to maintain the raid of an es unit it requires the sata controller card. You seem to be looking into placing the card into a thunderbolt enclosure. However the driver for the card needs to be thunderbolt aware in order for that to work. The drivers for the standard card we use are not thunderbolt aware. I believe that highpoint which makes the card has one esata card that is thunderbolt aware but I am having trouble locating the model number of that card. You may want to esquire with them as to which card is. Or if you go with a different brand of card it would need to have advanced raid functions and support port multiplication on top of having a thunderbolt aware driver, but if you change brands of cards you will not be able to access any current raid data and would need to recreate the raid which will format the drives.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby KarlSutton » Nov 20th, '13, 09:54

Hi Dustin,

If I move the same card into another MacPro will I have to reformat the drives?

Thanks,
Karl

Postby Dustin F » Nov 21st, '13, 08:08

Hi Karl,

If you move the same card into another tower it will still be able to access the raid. The data should be fine in that situation.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby KarlSutton » Nov 22nd, '13, 10:11

Hi Dustin,

Okay one last question - if I buy another identical control card to install in another computer would I still be able to maintain the data?

Thanks,
Karl

Postby Dustin F » Nov 25th, '13, 11:37

Hi Karl,

Yes, another card of the same model, or same brand really will be able to maintain the raid between computers as long as the card is internal on a desktop.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby adamdbrowne » Mar 7th, '14, 07:57

Hi, I know I'm coming to this thread late, but I have a similar question. I've been using g-speed es drives with my 2010-ish Mac Pro for years, through a SeriTek/2SE2-E PCIe card. Each of my G-Speeds is set up as two "Mirrored RAID Sets" in Disk Utility with AppleRAID version 2.0. That's a "software raid", right?

I upgraded to a new Mac Pro and bought a Lacie eSATA Hub to connect the G-SPEED es drives. When I fired up the drives, two of the four sets seemed to mount at first, but then started making a terrible clicking sound. I turned everything off. Now one of my G-SPEEDS isn't working anywhere (a separate question I've already put into tech support) and I've read on some forums that the Lacie Hub won't work with G-SPEED es drives, but this thread now makes me unsure of that.

Given how I set up my G-SPEED es drives, can I use this Lacie Hub or not?

Next

Return to G-SPEED eS

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php