G-Drive unrecognizable after latest Mac OS update Mavericks.

User

G-Drive unrecognizable after latest Mac OS update Mavericks.

Postby swmitry » Nov 9th, '13, 19:03

Any firmware updates available to fix this problem?

Re: G-Drive unrecognizable after latest Mac OS update Maveri

Postby Dustin F » Nov 11th, '13, 08:26

Hi swmitry,

Thanks for posting. There is no conflict with any of our equipment and 10.9 itself. We sometimes see some odd events if the upgrade was from more than one version difference (i.e. 10.6 or 10.7) What is the specific problem you are having, and what version of the mac os did you upgrade from?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby swmitry » Nov 11th, '13, 17:02

Hi there,

I upgraded from the previous version, mountain lion. Once I upgraded, my hard drive was no longer recognized. When I start up the computer and turn on the external drive, after several minutes sometimes more than 10 minutes, I get a message saying, "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" then it gives me the option to "Ignore" or eject". I have researched this on Apple's website and it seems to be a know problem affecting a lot of WD MyBook hard drives and I also saw some posts from people that have G-Drives like myself who have upgraded to Mavericks OS. I've tried attaching my drive with USB and Firewire and get the same result with both. I can't access anything on the drive at all because I can't see the drive on my desktop.

Thanks

Postby Dustin F » Nov 12th, '13, 08:59

Hi swmitry,

If the drive was connected to the computer while the upgrade was being performed that could have lead to a corruption of the partition table which would cause the disk cannot be read message. The long post time is a bit unusual though. At this point if you need the files off I would suggest a data recovery program to bypass the partition table and copy the files off using it. If you do not already have a recovery software you can try data rescue 3. You can try a demo of the program to verify it can see the files, at the point of recovery it will prompt you to purchase the software. Normally the software runs $100 we are partnered with the company that makes it and you can purchase it for $75. I will provide links to the demo and the prorated purchase link. If the slow mounting time persists, try a different connection cable. If it still persists it can be replaced under warranty.

Demo: http://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/dow ... ?prodID=78
Prorate: http://www.thedatarescuecenter.com/gtec ... tware.html
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby swmitry » Nov 12th, '13, 18:43

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for the info. I downloaded and ran the Demo for Data Rescue 3 and no files were found on my external G-Drive. It still takes a long time for the message to pop up when I connect the G-Drive to the computer. I've tried USB connection and Firewire Connection and it takes almost 10 mins sometimes to get the "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" message to pop up. What exactly can be replaced under warranty? Are my files completely gone in your opinion?

User

Postby Takedown » Nov 12th, '13, 21:21

I have the same problem with my G-Drive. My drive was not was not hooked up during my upgrade. I call Apple and after 3 hours, they told me that the would have to get back to me. They sent me an e-mail after 7 days. They told me that it was on G-Technology end. here is a copy of the e-mail:

Hi Anthony,

I finally got an answer from the engineers about your problem.

The response includes the following:

That’s exceptionally odd! Looking at the specifications of the G-Drive, it was last qualified under Mac OS X 10.5, and there have been siginifcant changes going into 10.9!

There is a firmware update available for this drive:

http://www.g-technology.com/support/g-drive-downloads

However, cannot open the updater under 10.9; get the message" “G-Tech Firmware Update Utility Universal” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.”

You should contact the manufacturer and see if this firmware update can help compatibility via FireWire and how they might be able to get this to install under 10.9, or if they have other information concerning this drive and 10.9 via FireWire.

Sounds like a compatibility issue with 10.9. with your drives.

Karen Jackson
Sr. Advisor
karen_jackson@apple.com
877-416-4271, extension 57309
Saturday thru Wednesday from 11:45AM to 8:00PM (PST)
Apple Support at 800-275-2273 or expresslane.apple.com

Postby Dustin F » Nov 14th, '13, 10:16

Hi swmitry,

The continued delay in mounting could be an issue with the drive itself. At that point probably the only way to get the data off is to go through a data recovery service. We are partnered with several that can provide free quotes as well as provide a discount on their services for work on our products. The warranty will replace the drive but if you do need to get the data off you will need to do so before hand. I am including a link with the list of data recovery services we are partnered with.

http://www.hgst.com/support/warranty-rm ... ery-policy
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Postby Dustin F » Nov 14th, '13, 10:25

Hi Takedown,

Thanks for posting. The drives themselves have no issue with 10.9 we have tested them on Mavericks and all have performed well. The firmware update is for generation 5 g-drives that had an issue over firewire where they could not write to the drive after it went to sleep until the drive was powered off and back on. It has nothing to do with 10.9 specifically. If your drive was attached and on during the os upgrade that can lead to partition corruption as it can with any major os upgrade. That is why installers for os advise to remove peripherals during an upgrade.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to General Discussion

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php