Drive not readable

User

Drive not readable

Postby JamesLip » Nov 7th, '13, 02:59

Hi there

I was wondering if someone could help me

I have 12 TB ES Pro attached to a Mac pro using a R680 in raid 0

It has been working fine for about 9 months but yesterday when I to restarted the machine it, the drive didn't come up and "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" message came up, i have tried restarting a few times it always comes up with the same message. All the lights are blue and when i log into the Atto config everything seems fine

This has happen once before on the drive around 9 months ago and then the data wasn't so important for just re-formated the drive now i really need the data back so if there anything anyone can suggest i would be very grateful

Cheers

James

Re: Drive not readable

Postby Dustin F » Nov 7th, '13, 08:11

Hi James,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like there was some corruption to the partition table to the point that OS can't see the partition data. A third party program will be needed to recover the data. In this case I would recommend either Data Rescue 3 which bypasses the partition table and allows you to get the data off, you do need another drive capable of holding the data on it however. Another program that I have gotten feed back form that worked well specifically on the g-speed series is r-studio. Good luck.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby JamesLip » Nov 7th, '13, 08:51

Ok Bugger so not a simple fix

I've looked a data rescue and it looks to only restore know files, we use a lot of filme files like MXF and Ari files and it appears to rename or move the file structure

Do you think there a fault with a drive ? We use quite a lot of ES pro around 12 this year and this is the only one that failed and it done it twice ?

Cheers

James

Postby Dustin F » Nov 8th, '13, 08:37

James,

Corruption can be caused by external influences like power surge improper disconnects, programs locking up while accessing the drive, and a variety of other things. If it was within a month or so between corruptions I might worry but 9 months I wouldn't say so. You can try turning the unit off, ejecting each drive and reinserting it as sometimes the modules can wiggle a little loose from the cumulative vibration of the array.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby JohnGalt48 » Feb 15th, '15, 20:38

I know this is an old thread, but tonight I experienced this exact problem and same error message with my 12TB es Pro and ATTO 680 in a 2008 Mac Pro.
It has worked perfectly since installation a couple of years ago, until tonight. Is there any updated information on how to fix it? I'm not terribly computer savvy...especially with Macs.
I have some very important data on the drives that I don't want to lose!
Thanks for any help...

Postby Dustin F » Feb 17th, '15, 08:03

Hi JohnGalt48,

Thank for posting. If you are getting the disk is not readable by this computer message. Make sure all drives have a blue light on the front, and check the atto config tool to also see the status of the raid. If all of those appear fine you may be able to use software to get the data back. You can try a data recovery software such as data rescue, or r-studio. These will require another drive to copy the data to. If there is a problem with one of the drives or simply the raid itself knowing the raid level would help in figuring the next step. If it is in raid 0 however it would require going to a data recovery service to get the data off.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby JohnGalt48 » Feb 18th, '15, 12:43

Here's a bit more information on my failure, and a question:
I had had no problems at all installing or operating the ATTO 680 and the G-Speed es Pro for a couple of years.
As I remember now, a few days ago, I got the "software updates available" message from Apple. I didn't want to restart right then, but figured to shut it down normally and they would install the next time I powered up the computer.
My usual method of powering up involves turning on my UPS which the G-Speed is plugged into...so it powers up first...then I power up the computer. When I did it the next time, as is sometimes the case when it is updating software, it was taking a while to boot up. This time however, it was flashing some kind of message box on both monitors as just a fast rate that i could not read it, and it just kept doing that for a long period of time. I finally just powered down the computer, and restarted it. It appeared to boot normally this time, but this is when I noticed the G-Speed icon was no longer on the desktop and got the "can't read the drive" error message.
The ATTO configuration tool showed all the G-Speed drives to be operating, but no partitions seen. I had a long talk with Diskwarrior tech support, basically to find out if their new product could help...and after about an hour and a half of him looking at my computer remotely, he said that apparently the G-Speed partition info and almost everthing else...had been overwritten by gibberish and their product could not help me. I didn't have a whole lot of irreplaceable data on it at the time, so I just reformatted it from Disk Utility, and it seems to be fine now.
My question is....could that software update have possibly corrupted this disc? Obviously, I had never had that happen before, but the coincidence is hard to ignore. I have the feeling that had the G-Speed not been already powered when the computer was powered up and installing those updates...perhaps this loss wouldn't have occurred.
Also, should I wait until the computer boots up to power up the G-Speed? What would be the order to power down? I have simply been doing the reverse in powering down...shutting the computer down first, then turning off the UPC which shuts down the G-Speed. I have not been "ejecting" the G-Speed before powering down.
Is there a recommended procedure for powering up and down?

Postby Dustin F » Feb 19th, '15, 08:29

JohnGalt48,

There have been times where if a major system update is being performed it can cause corruption of an external drive. If an update was stuck at boot up however there may have been a signal being sent to the drive that could not complete causing such a corruption. Usually you would want the drive on before you boot up the computer however if you are performing system updates I recommend leaving the drive off during.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-SPEED eS PRO

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php