G-Drive not mounting after restart and...

User

G-Drive not mounting after restart and...

Postby footlooze » Oct 29th, '13, 12:32

I have had my G-Drive for three years without any problems as Time Machine backup on my Macmini. Recently I observed an occasional disappearance of the g-drive icon from my desktop. Sometimes requiring a couple of restarts to remount my g-drive, although the icon may occasionally present in the unmounted yellow color. I usually just restart again to to get the drive to mount in the familiar green color indicating it's mounted. This is problematic as I always just put my mac to sleep. Not to mention that the G-Drive icon moves on my desktop sometimes. This morning I sat at my desk and heard the G-Drive whirring as if my computer was turned on. My Mac mini was still in sleep mode because I had not awakened it yet. I went through the process of restarting to shake it loose but that was to no avail. At this moment it continues to whir. This only started occurring very recently and for three years never ever had to even think about my G-Drive because I always saw the familiar green icon on my desktop that's all. I hope this is enough of a challenge for you as it has been for me. What can I do? Thank you.

Re: G-Drive not mounting after restart and...

Postby Dustin F » Oct 30th, '13, 07:28

Hi footlooze,

Thanks for posting. Does the behavior persist across both fw and usb, or does your mini only use usb? What version of the mac os are you using? You have mentioned restarting several times are you rebooting the computer, the drive or both? If you have not power cycled the drive at all you may want to try that as well. You could also try swapping the cable you are using if you have a spare. Please let me know.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby footlooze » Oct 31st, '13, 08:54

Hello, thanks for your reply. My G-Drive has been connected via fw 800. I have been rebooting my mac and a couple of times the G-Drive as well although not always. Currently I"m running Mac OS 10.9. You mention "power cycle" not sure of that but I have turned off and unplugged both for at least 20 seconds before reconnecting both. The G-Drive is on my desktop at this moment unmounted ( yellow color). I don't have a spare usb or fw cable to swap out. Thank you again for helping with this. Please advise.

Postby Dustin F » Nov 1st, '13, 07:17

Hi footlooze,

So the main issue is that the drive mounts but doesn't always list for time machine then, that and the constant spin. We have started seeing this on some systems that have upgraded to 10.9, usually if the OS was 10.6 or 10.7 before upgrade. We have seen the drive spin more than the time machine not retaining. Our drives have no problem on a clean install of 10.9 and from what we have gathered seem to be an issue in the OS due to left over files from the previous OS version. I would suggest contacting apple for further support on this.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php