Mounting device on multiple devices / server

User

Mounting device on multiple devices / server

Postby Nat » Aug 5th, '13, 19:23

Can my GRaid device be mounted onto two MACS at the same time? I'm trying to make the External HD an area where two people can be working off the same folder space at the same time like a server.

Thanks, Nat

Re: Mounting device on multiple devices / server

Postby Dustin F » Aug 6th, '13, 14:10

Hi Nat,

Thanks for posting. A G-RAID or any other G-Technology can only connect to one computer at a time via the direct connections. The only way to have multiple computers access the same drive is through a network. If you set up the drive on one computer and then mapped it as a network drive you could then have multiple computer access it. The computer that it is connected to would have to be on in order for that to work.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Contarex » Oct 16th, '13, 03:02

Dear Dustin!

I am thinking on buying a 4TB G-Technology drive. I wonder is it possible to set it up in a way that sometimes a PC (with Windows 8 on it) and sometimes a Mac Book Pro uses it ? How should I start the installation?
Many thanks and best regards, Peter

Postby Dustin F » Oct 16th, '13, 07:47

Hi Contarex,

Thanks for posting. I have seen times where a mac formatted g-drive attached to a airport router was accessible over the network on both mac and pc. The router seemed to do some kind of emulation for the cross platform support. This method would be easier than formatting a drive into exfat and trying to network the to different os computers directly, this method tends to have some difficulty in setting up. You could also check some other brands of routers with NAS capability to see if it has the cross platform support.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby Contarex » Oct 16th, '13, 20:16

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your answer. I think my problem is easier to solve and maybe I did not elaborate my question properly, so I try to do it now.

I would like to use the G-Technology drive as a back up disk for my digital files. Time to time I would like to connect my Mac with it via the FW800 cable and transfer my files to the external drive. Sometimes I would like to do the same with my PC (Win8) via the USB 3.0 cable. So actually I do not want to use the drive simultaneously for both platforms.
Is it possible to use the drive in the above described way? How should I set it up ? FAT32? I guess it is better to do the first formatting with the Mac, isn't it?
Many thanks.

Postby Dustin F » Oct 17th, '13, 07:06

Hi Contarex,

Yes that is much simpler. Fat32 would work but you would be limited to individual file sizes of 4GB. You are better off with exfat which is also cross platform but doesn't have the same file size limitation.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby Contarex » Oct 17th, '13, 09:42

Hi Dustin,

Many thanks for your help!

best regards,

Peter

User

Postby Contarex » Nov 3rd, '13, 09:34

Hi Dustin,

I am happy to report, that after formatting my new G-Drive by EXFAT, it is working with both my Mac and PC.
Thank you again for your help!

But I discovered an interesting phenomena: the files are much bigger on the G-Drive, than originally! For example a 44kb WORD file became 1 Mbyte, an originally 92 Gbyte photo folder became 105 Gbyte on the G-drive! And the "file-enlargement" happens regardless whether I copy files either from the Mac or from the PC. All copied files are working properly.

Is it normal ? How can I achieve that the files remain the same size on the G-Drive as the original was?

Many thanks and best regards, P

Postby Dustin F » Nov 4th, '13, 11:57

Hi Peter,

The larger file size sometimes happens with exfat as it is an older file system and will write the file larger on the disk to ensure compatibility. This is a limitation of the format system and there is nothing you can really do about that is you wish to keep cross compatibility except maybe format back into extended and use macdrive or a similar piece of software on the pc to allow it to read and write mac formatted drives. Mac drive basic runs about 50 dollars. The pro version which has raid support runs 70 dollars. If you view the file properties on windows it will list file size and size on disk so you can see the files themselves are about the same.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby Contarex » Nov 4th, '13, 22:26

Hi Dustin!

Many thanks for your answer!

Just one more thing : when I try to login to this page I always have to try two or three times even if I use my correct user name and password. I do not mind to type capcha at every login, but if others have the similar experience something might not be perfect in the login procedure. Have others indicated the similar problem to you?

Many thanks and best regards,
Peter

Next

Return to Getting Started

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php