G-RAID mini with eSATA on Win 8 not registering

User

G-RAID mini with eSATA on Win 8 not registering

Postby Newislander » Oct 2nd, '13, 16:59

So the BIOS see's the drive plugged into my external eSATA port and in Windows 8 on the Desktop my Intel RAID Storage technology app see's the drive as eSATA-2 ExternalRAID with the correct volume size but no Physical or Logical sector size.

Windows Disk management does not see the drive at all.

I've tried the G-RAID mini RAID Configurator (both 64bit versions) but it can't detect the drive.

This is a new laptop but I didn't have problems using this drive connected to the external eSATA on my previous Win8 laptop.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Tim Newis

Re: G-RAID mini with eSATA on Win 8 not registering

Postby Dustin F » Oct 3rd, '13, 08:09

Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting. From the sounds of it the drive had already been formatted for windows. Does the drive have the same issue with usb? Does the red indicator light on the front stay solid after it turns on or does it blink a few times then turn off? Is the previous computer still around to test with? Please let me know.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Newislander » Oct 3rd, '13, 10:22

Hi Dustin

#1 The drive works fine on USB 2.0 on the new machine (all status lights flash and I can see data, etc., although the Configurator doesn't see it.

#2 New PC, Intel Rapid Storage Technology uitl see's the drive but reports Physical and Logical Sectors as zero.

#3 Yes the drive is used exclusively on a PC

#4 Old PC Everything works fine with the eSATA cable connected the the external eSATA port (both PC's are Dell although the old one is a Inspiron and the new a Precision).

#5 Old PC, Intel Rapid Storage Technology uitl see's the drive and reports Physical and Logical Sectors correctly.

I appreciate that you can't diag hardware on the Dell side, but it's kinda strange that everything is good, the BIOS see's the drive but cannot access the volume.

Regards,

Tim N

Postby Dustin F » Oct 4th, '13, 07:22

Hi Tim,

It sounds like the drive itself works alright. You may want to look into a chipset driver update, even new model computers will often have updates listed on the manufacturers website. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Newislander » Oct 4th, '13, 10:41

Thanks for the suggestion Dustin.

No luck yet, I did already go through the process of applying all available drivers and updates (I kinda like to get a backup of everything before I start loading apps). I dropped back to the Dell support site but nothing new out there.

I know the port is working b/c the drive is identified in the boot sequence. I'll keep plugging away but at some time it'll be more cost effective to buy a new drive with USB 3.0 but I really wanted to use the G-RAID mini on eSATA and was planning to drop a couple of 1TB drives into the chassis.

I'll post if I find resolution.

Thanks again.

Return to G-RAID mini

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php