Windows Setup

User

Windows Setup

Postby lostproject » Sep 28th, '13, 10:38

Hi, I need some help with setting up my G-DRIVE 8 TB with Thunderbolt under Win 7

I just bought new G-RAID 8T with Thunderbolt. I connected it to my MacBook Pro Retina and it was discovered by the system without any problems. On the same machine I use Windows 7 by Bootcamp. To use the drive on Windows system I wanted to reformat it to NTFS but under windows disk management utility I always see two separate disks. How can I reformat g-raid to work under windows 7? Unfortunately all the instructions I have found on g-technology website (http://www.g-technology.com/support/g-raid-with-thunderbolt) doesn't work. It shows how to format one drive and not how to recreate the raid from two separate disks...
I found here the info (http://www.g-technology.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2732&sid=958d280b0e77ea102b840afd10bebe0e) that g-drive 8T Thunderbolt doesn't work with windows yet:
Hi jamesmather,

Thanks for posting. Currently the G-Raid with thunderbolt is only supported for Mac. We are working on a Windows drivers for the unit, however at this time I do not have any suggestions for use on Windows.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

This is very strange because the product website says: "G-RAID also supports Windows® systems with a simple reformat."
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid-thunderbolt

Thanks for your help

Re: Windows Setup

Postby Dustin F » Sep 30th, '13, 09:34

Hi lostproject,

Thanks for posting. We are just starting up support for windows with the G-Raid thunderbolt. The previous post you referenced was for a lack of driver which we still do not have at this time but since you are on a boot camp system the included thunderbolt drive provided by mac works. To create a raid for the G-Raid thunderbolt through the windows boot you will need to first clean each drive and then initialize them. Here is how to to that.

To format the drive from MAC to Windows format you must first find out the disk number associated with the drive.
• To do this press (Windows Key + R) this will bring up the run window.
• Type (diskpart) into the box and click ok.
• This will open the command promt a black box with white text
• Type (list disk) and hit enter. This will give you a list of the hard drives on the computer arranged by number and will list the capacity (the amount of data the drive can hold). The drive will usually be the last in the list. Check the capacity to verify. The G-Drive will always be a number higher than 0.
• Once you have the disk number type (select disk “x”) (substitute x for the drive number i.e. 1, 2, 3) command prompt will then say disk “x” is selected disk
• Type (clean) once you get a message saying the drive has finished cleaning you can close the window.
• Open disk management in most versions of windows click the start button place the mouse pointer over “Computer” or “My Computer” and right click. Then click manage. For Windows 8 press (Windows Key + X) then click “Disk Management”
• The computer management window will open, click “disk management” in the left column.
• Look for the disk number listed in the lower half of the window (you may want to maximize the window in order to see all drives easier.) The area next to the disk number should be black. Right click on the box with the drive number and click “initialize” If asked to select “MBR or “GPT” for partition style select “GPT”

Do this for each of the disks. Once you have you can right click on the unallocated space of one of the drives and click either new stripped volume for RAID 0 or new mirrored volume for RAID 1.

In the windows that appears you will see available disks on the left which should contain the two you just initialized. You can click each and the add button to add them to the selected section on the right.

Once you do you can click next which will ask you what drive letter to assign it. The default value for this is fine.

On the next screen it will ask for format settings. It will be on NTFS by default. You can change the volume label to make it easier to identify and make sure perform a quick format is selected. Click next then finish.

In disk management it will say formatting then change to healthy. Once it does it will be mounted and ready to use.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: Windows Setup

Postby lostproject » Sep 30th, '13, 10:53

Hi Dustin

that works! Thanks very much for your help.

Regards

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php