Getting started on an iPad

User

Getting started on an iPad

Postby Chris Quin » Apr 27th, '12, 07:15

Hi there, I have purchased a g-connect and I am attempting to set it up while travelling, is it possible to set it up using an iPad with wifi only? Or does the device need to be Ethernet cabled in to the device to do initial set up? It seems I can't as once the iPad is wifi to the g-connect it's not on the Internet

Also the site talks about an iPad compatible power cable what is this please

Lastly once it is running, when I connect to the g-connect on wifi ones that mean the iPad will not be on the Internet? As it will be connected to the g-connect only?

Thanks!

Re: Getting started on an iPad

Postby Brandon P » Apr 27th, '12, 08:37

Hello Chris Quin,

You can setup the device with an iPad without having it connected to ethernet. The ethernet connection isn't a requirement but it is recommended at least once and periodically so that it can check for an update to the firmware and software on the G-CONNECT.

The iPad compatible power cable is in reference to the same power ratings required for both devices. 5v and 2.1amps which our adapter provides.

The internet will only pass-through if you have the G-CONNECT attached with ethernet into a router that is getting internet. When traveling and don't have access to a router that has internet going into it then you will have to choose WiFi to the G-CONNECT for content or an internet WiFi, not both at the same time.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Postby Chris Quin » Apr 27th, '12, 08:55

Thanks Brandon, to be clear to set up the G-connect without it being on ethernet internet does the ipad have to have a 3g internet connection at the same timeas being wifi to the g-connect......ie can you do setup without being on the internet on either the ipad or the g-connect?

User

Postby Chris Quin » Apr 27th, '12, 09:01

The reason i am asking is i am trying to set up off an ipad wifi connected to the G-CONNECT and entering the 4 letter code it displays as SSID and it keeps giving me an error message

Postby Brandon P » Apr 27th, '12, 10:00

Chris,

You do not need to have internet access to setup the G-CONNECT. When you go to your WiFi settings on your iPad you should see the G-CONNECT-XXXX listed, connect to that and it will not prompt for a password, then processed to the web browser on your iPad (not the G-CONNECT app) and enter the address "gtech-connect.com" and you can go through the setup process.

You cannot use the app until after you go through the full setup process on the web browser (does not require internet for this)
Brandon P

User

Postby Chris Quin » Apr 27th, '12, 10:53

that worked thanks! maybe that simple explanation should be added to the getting started booklet given the volume of ipad users that will want this

one more question......can you shift content from the ipad to the G-connect?

Postby Brandon P » Apr 27th, '12, 14:32

Simply stated, no you cannot save content from the G-CONNECT to the iPad. There are a few exceptions but in most cases all syncing of data needs to be handled on the computer directly. We will be putting a FAQ out on the main page along with a forum post soon that will give more details about this procedure.
Brandon P

Return to Getting Started

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php