G-Speed "unallocated" after win7 re-install

User

G-Speed "unallocated" after win7 re-install

Postby powerfreak » Aug 23rd, '13, 17:53

using win7 64....I have 2 separate G-speed Q towers. 12tb's in RAID5.

I re-installed windows (yippie)...commputer works fine, but the 2 G-speed towers are showing up as "unallocated" in my disk manager. My esata card is working fine (I have an internal drive that's on the card and it works as it's supposed to). Disk manager wants to "initialize" them....I'd really like to avoid losing all the files on these drives.

HELP! How do I get the drives to "mount"? I tried running the G-speed Q configurator...and asks to "connect 1 storage device to be configured", but nothing else happens.

Re: G-Speed "unallocated" after win7 re-install

Postby Dustin F » Aug 26th, '13, 14:58

Hi powerfreak,

Thanks for posting. It is always recommended to dinconnect external drives during a OS installation. To clarify disk management is asking to initialize the drives? Not merely listing unallocated? While you can use data recovery software such as data rescue 3 that program does require another drive to transfer the data to and g-speed can hold quite a lot of data. You could also try a utility to rebuild the partition tables such as testdisk. With programs like that there is a chance of lowing the integrity of the data especially if you were low on available space. For best results you may want to contact a data recovery service.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby powerfreak » Aug 26th, '13, 16:35

Yes, I messed up and didn't disconnect the drives when I reinstalled the OS. I did the "repair" install, thinking nothing would be lost...grrrrr. The drives are always hooked up and running....I didn't stop to think I guess.

Yes, the disk management is asking to initialize the drives as soon as it opens and scans all the available drives.

Someone at tech support (Jj) recommended using a recovery program called Data Rescue PC3. I'm currently running that...just 35 more hours to go (on the first tower). Do you think that'll work better then trying Testdisk?

Postby Dustin F » Aug 27th, '13, 07:16

Hi powerfreak,

Data Rescue 3 is definitely more secure than testdisk as is bypasses the partition table to access data. It will maintain the data. Test disk there is a small chance of some data corruption.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby powerfreak » Aug 27th, '13, 11:04

ok, thanks....will continue on with it. Only 13 more hours to go (with the first tower). I guess it's a good week to catch up on paper work (and not video editing). I will update this thread when it's done and hopefully fixed.

User

Postby powerfreak » Aug 29th, '13, 18:03

Data rescue 3 and Testdisk were total failures (and a BIG waste of time)....BUT, I tried "R-studio" and it worked perfectly. All files recovered. Lesson learned.

Return to G-SPEED Q

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php