GDriveQ power supply problem

User

GDriveQ power supply problem

Postby rgaines » Aug 20th, '13, 15:32

Good day-

I have a GDriveQ500 that has worked very well as an external drive. However I find that it no longer turns on. The power supply brick shows a green light when it is plugged into an electrical outlet. When I operate the on/off switch on the drive to the 'on' position, the green light turns off. I'd appreciate some guidance on whether this is a power supply or drive problem.

Re: GDriveQ power supply problem

Postby Dustin F » Aug 21st, '13, 07:29

Hi rgaines,

Thanks for posting. Yes that is an issue with the power supply. I see it here and there. We do still carry replacements for the adapter on our site. You can find it on our product page in the accessories section at the bottom. It is the first item in the second to last row. When you hover the mouse over it says G-Raid G-Sata. The thumbnail does not match but this is the correct dual voltage 5 pin adapter.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby rgaines » Aug 21st, '13, 14:37

Thank you. I will order one.

User

Postby rgaines » Aug 29th, '13, 06:21

Hello-

I received the new power supply today. Sadly, it did not resolve my issue. Drive will not turn on. I noticed the power supply light is on when connected to the wall outlet. When I turn on the on/off switch on the drive, the power supply light turns off. I also noticed the drive light on the front of the unit beneath the "G" flashes on then stays off. Any suggestions? I now have several hundred MB of data trapped on this drive.

Thank you.

Postby Dustin F » Aug 29th, '13, 07:51

Hi rgaines,

I am sorry to hear the adapter didn't work. Whenever I have seen that symptom in the past it has been the power adapter. While there is the off chance that the power adapter you received is a dud at this point it may be more prudent to open the enclosure and transfer the drive into a generic enclosure. You can usually pick up one at most electronic stores for about 20-30 dollars.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby rgaines » Aug 29th, '13, 08:42

Thank you for the reply. I took the unit apart and found that when I unplug the drive from the circuit board, the light under the "G" on the front of the until turns back on as does the power brick light. I now suspect the drive itself has problems. With the drive plugged into the circuit board, neither light turns on. This behavior occurs with both power supplies I now have. Other than the suggestion above, any other diagnostics I can perform to narrow down the cause?

I will call support to get an RMA number for the power supply return.

Postby Dustin F » Aug 30th, '13, 08:31

rgaines,

You can try mounting the drive internally in a computer if you can or with a sata to usb adapter cable to see if it detects or responds. For returning the power adapter bought from our site you can use the webstore return form. http://prod.g-technology.com/support/we ... eturns.cfm
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php