I Want More Please?

User

I Want More Please?

Postby Dbellas » Aug 6th, '13, 23:41

Hay Guys,
I have an es with the Hitachi 1TB drives. Can I replace them with any brand and any size? I was thinking of putting in 2-3TB drives (X4) either Seagate or WD Blacks.

The may run a little hotter and take a little more power but all in all they seem close to me. Let me know what the parameters are for size and type or brand. I would like at least 8TB but 12TB would be ideal.

Is there anyway to upgrade to the 6gb SATA?

DBellas
ASUS P6T-V2, I7-950, 12GB DDR3 1600 Corsair V RAM, NVIDIA 3800 Quaddro 3GB DDR4, 256GB Vertex SSD, 2-1TB Seagate Barracuda, Pioneeer BDR-203 and 206, Lite-0On iHAS 424

Re: I Want More Please?

Postby Dustin F » Aug 9th, '13, 13:38

Hi Dbellas,

Thanks for posting. The unit should definitely be able to handle 2TB drives if it was made in the last 2 years it should also be able to handle the 3TB drives. If you upgrade you would want all drive to be same capacity and part number. I cannot guarantee compatibility with other brands of drives.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Dbellas » Aug 15th, '13, 02:32

Dustin F wrote:Hi Dbellas,

"Thanks for posting. The unit should definitely be able to handle 2TB drives if it was made in the last 2 years it should also be able to handle the 3TB drives. If you upgrade you would want all drive to be same capacity and part number. I cannot guarantee compatibility with other brands of drives."

So, Duncan, Ya left me a little hanging there... are you saying that It may not run using Seagate or WD only Hitachi? Don't most of these guys get most of their parts from the same suppliers?. Why, might other drives not be compatable, I looked at the drives in the enclosure and the look like any 3.5" HD?

I bought this drive 2009 with the plug in board 3.0G sata. Is there and upgrade path for 6G SATA from either you or Highpoint?

DB
ASUS P6T-V2, I7-950, 12GB DDR3 1600 Corsair V RAM, NVIDIA 3800 Quaddro 3GB DDR4, 256GB Vertex SSD, 2-1TB Seagate Barracuda, Pioneeer BDR-203 and 206, Lite-0On iHAS 424

Postby Dustin F » Aug 15th, '13, 07:32

Hi Dbellas,

The unit has only been tested with Hitachi/HGST drives. While other brands will probably work I cannot vouch for incompatibility of any model or performance issues from any such. You can use 6Gbps drives but the speed is limited by the controller chip of the card which I believe in most cases is limited to 3Gbps. I also have some further clarification on the capacity. If the unit is Generation 4 it should be able to handle the higher capacity drives. Before that probably only the 2TB.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-SPEED eS

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php