New drives in a G-Speed XL 16TB

User

New drives in a G-Speed XL 16TB

Postby neilsadwelkar » Jul 15th, '13, 01:03

I'm consulting at a facility where they have 2 G-Speed XL 16TB FC RAIDs. They are about 4 years old. Each RAID has 16 drives of 1 TB each. The drives are Hitachi SATA drives model HDT721010SLA360.

I'm wondering, can I give this RAID a new lease of life by replacing all of these with newer 2 TB or even 3 TB or 4 TB drives? Does G-Tech supply these any more? Or can I simply replace them myself? What other drive make/models are supported in this RAID. The existing drives are all 3 Gbps SATA with 16MB cache. Would newer 6 Gbps drives with larger caches work?

The RAIDs are in Mumbai, India. And out here Hitachi or Seagate drives are easily obtained.

Re: New drives in a G-Speed XL 16TB

Postby Dustin F » Jul 15th, '13, 07:49

Hi neilsadwelkar,

Thanks for posting. If you are running the fiber channel version the cap is 2TB drives. If you care running the SAS version then it is dependent on the controller card you are using. Our SAS card does support 3 and 4 TB drives. You can change the drives yourself. Just make sure you keep the sled that each drive mounts in.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby hksassen » Aug 11th, '13, 06:27

Hi there, I've a similar situation with the g-speed fc (6 drives)

As I understand it, the limit is 2tb on sata drives, no way to surmount that?
really appreciate clear confirmation,
Hilary

User

Postby hksassen » Aug 11th, '13, 06:31

It is running on a fibre channel. Is there a way to make it SAS?
thank you,
H

Postby Dustin F » Aug 14th, '13, 07:34

Hi hksassen,

Thanks for posting. The G-Speed FC (6 bay) has no way to increase capacity, 2TB per drive is the limit. For the XL unit the fiber channel and sas units use different controllers and interfaces for connecting to the chassis. They cannot be swapped.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby hksassen » Aug 14th, '13, 09:22

Hi Dustin, thanks for your reply! Can I purchase 2tb trays from you guys? What is the link? Are the drives tested/ soak test etc?thank you! Hilary

Postby Dustin F » Aug 15th, '13, 07:13

Hi hksassen,

We no longer sell the modules for the G-Speed XL or FC. You can purchase bare drives and swap them into the existing sleds for the unit. We do not sell the bare drives directly so you would want to look into a vendor or distributor for procurement.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-SPEED FC XL

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php