Big Problem with G-Raid Drives in Win7 64bit

User

Big Problem with G-Raid Drives in Win7 64bit

Postby arbelrom » Jul 29th, '13, 22:10

Hello.
I have 2 G-Raid 2 TB drives.
I worked with them for over a year in an HP workstation running Win XP 32bit, connected via e-sata.
2 weeks ago I purchased a new Dell T7600 workstation with Win 7 64bit.
I installed a ST-Lab e-sata pci-e card (Marvell 91xx chipset).
During boot time, the drives are recognized, and right after boot the drives appear just fine in my computer and in the disk management.
But after a random period of time, 2 minutes to 10 minutes, the drives spin down (as if going to sleep mode) and disappear from both my computer and the disk management.
in order to be re-recognized i need to switch the drives off-on again.
I have reinstalled the e-sata card drivers, the motherboard drivers, and switched between pci-e slots - to no avail.
Is there an firmware update to these drives that can prevent them from spinning down??
are there any knows issues with e-sata and the newer AHCI mode in Win 7?? (in win XP it was on IDE mode)
I am editing HD footage with these drives so usb 2.0 can't work for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Arbel.

Re: Big Problem with G-Raid Drives in Win7 64bit

Postby Dustin F » Jul 31st, '13, 07:14

Hi Arbel,

Thanks for posting. Windows 7 by default puts hard disks to sleep. You can adjust this in the power settings in the control panel. Default setting is balanced, I suggest changing to high performance then click change plan settings, and advanced. In there you will find a category harddisks. Expand that and change the time increment to 0. Once you click away it will say never. Click ok. Let me know if you have any more trouble.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby arbelrom » Jul 31st, '13, 23:02

Hi Dustin.
Thanks for the replay!
This option was one of the first I tried, it was set to 0 when my system was installed.
the problem is not in this setting since the time is not fixed - the disk can run fine for 3 hours, and the next day can turn off after 5 minutes...

Any other ideas?

Postby Dustin F » Aug 1st, '13, 09:08

Hi Arbel,

The main thing I would usually ask is if it does the same on other connections. As you are video editing and need the speed I understand that may be difficult. The inconsistent nature of the spin down seems odd. Do you have any other G-Raids you could swap the power adapter with? In consistent power could be a factor.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby arbelrom » Aug 1st, '13, 12:29

HI Dustin.
I have 4 G-raid drives.
2 older ones without the standby capability, and 2 newer ones with it.
With the older ones connected via e-sata there is no problem, since they can't spin down.
I have tried swaping power supplies and e-sata cables with the 2 newer ones
and it does not help.
one thing I did notice - when the drives are powered up BEFORE the computer
they tend to go into standby faster than if they are turned on AFTER the computer has booted.
Right now I am trying to get a new e-sata card to check whether the card might be faulty.
I'll get an electrician to check the power in the sockets, but since the drives work on an AC to DC converter I would assume the DC converter should handle some electrical problems, is that true or is it still sensitive to problems in the AC current?
I have an array of equipment connected to these sockets so it seems highly unlikely... but it's worth a shot.

I'll update on any progress.

Thanks!!

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php