R680 overheating

User

R680 overheating

Postby dv411 » Jul 10th, '13, 16:06

My client who purchased G-Speed eS Pro 8TB w/ RAID (ATTO R680) a year ago consistently gets overheating warnings (red light on the G-Speed box) from the R680 controller. The host system (HP Z800) is very well cooled (two fans dedicated to the card bay) yet he also installed another cooling device right next to the controller - all to no avail.

Any remedies? What's the next step?

Thanks!
Alex G.

Re: R680 overheating

Postby Dustin F » Jul 24th, '13, 09:44

Hi dv411,

Thanks for posting. If you are getting heat warnings with a red light from the enclosure that suggests the issue is coming from the g-speed, not the controller card. If you were getting overheating warnings with the drive detached or off then there may be an issue with the card. Sometimes either can give a false positive. Has there been any performance issues with the g-speed itself? Have you also checked free the card of any dust and make sure it is seated correctly? Please let me know of the results of this.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby dv411 » Jul 24th, '13, 10:15

Dustin F wrote:If you are getting heat warnings with a red light from the enclosure that suggests the issue is coming from the g-speed, not the controller card.

My understanding was that eS pro's SES provides indication of RAID card fault, and that red light indicated exactly that. I'll check with the client and get back to you.

Thanks for the response.
Alex G.

User

Postby dv411 » Jul 28th, '13, 14:25

Hi Dustin,

It appears that you're right, it's the enclosure and not the RAID controller.

What further steps would you recommend to troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks.

P.S. Every time I try to login to the forum, I get an error message, "you've exceeded the maximum number of login attempts" and I have to use CAPTCHA to sign in. Using Chrome. Is this normal?

Postby Dustin F » Jul 29th, '13, 08:30

Hi dv411,

If you are getting a redlight on the enclosure but all the lights on the drives are blue it is indicating some problem with the enclosure. Especially if you are getting a heat warning. The enclosure should be replaced. For a standard RMA you would send us the enclosure with drives then once received we send back a replacement unit. If the data does need to be retained we can set up a advanced replacement so you can swap the drives into the replacement enclosure, that does require a credit card to place a hold on while we send out the replacement unit. You can both check with warranty status and create a RMA from the link below. Once you have filled out this form and created the RMA you can call in to the support center if you want to convert it to an advanced replacement. The call center number is listed here http://www.g-technology.com/contact/contact_support
Here is the form for the RMA http://www2.hgst.com/warranty/index_gtech_serial.do
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby dv411 » Jul 29th, '13, 10:52

Thanks Dustin!
Alex G.

Return to G-SPEED eS PRO

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php