How to use G-Raid as an encrypted Time Machine disk?

User

How to use G-Raid as an encrypted Time Machine disk?

Postby CharPatton » Jul 10th, '13, 16:59

I just bought a brand new iMac and a G Raid Thunderbolt 4 TB Thunderbolt drive. I backed up using Time Machine successfully, but would now like to encrypt the backup disk. However, when I go to System Prefeneces > Time Machine > Select Disk, and highlight the disk under "Backup Disks", the checkbox for "Encrypt backups" remains greyed out.

Any advice as to how to encrypt this Time Machine backup would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

PS If I look under "Available Disks", rather than "Backup Disks", my G Raid Time Machine backup is listed under an identical name (but with a different icon, not Time Machine but the G Raid one). I can select it and click the "Encrypt Backups" box, then "Use Disk" box.. I then am prompted to enter a PW. After I do this and click "Encrypt Disk", I get an error that reads: "There was an error preparing the Time Machine backup disk "name". A partition, not a whole disk, is required for this operation". Per disk utility, the disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled.

PPS In this case, the reason I backed up in a non-encrypted state is that I had the same error message when originally trying to do the 1st backup in an encrypted state: "There was an error preparing the Time Machine backup disk "name". A partition, not a whole disk, is required for this operation"

Thus, several questions:

1) Might there be a problem with the G-Tech disk that doesn't allow an encrypted backup? I seem to remember vaguely hearing this in the past at some point but forgot. I don't know anything about RAID technology, but I think the G-Raid is RAID 0 and the problem was with RAID 1.
2) If no luck with a simple solution, what if I make a 4 GB encrypted disk image via Disk Utility, drag it onto the G-Tech, and then use that as my Time Machine backup?
3) What would right-clicking on the Time Machine disk and choosing "Encrypt" do? Is this identical to just making an AES encrypted disk from Disk Utility?

Re: How to use G-Raid as an encrypted Time Machine disk?

Postby Dustin F » Jul 11th, '13, 07:15

Hi CharPatton,

Thanks for posting. The G-Raid thunderbolt uses a software raid which is not supported by firefault. On the graid thunderbolt you could only encrypt with firevault if you had it in JBOD mode. In other words if you deleted the raid set and used the two internal drives individually. A hardware raided unit like the regular g-raid with usb and firewire would be supported by firevault. You could also look into a third party encryption software that supports software raids.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby CharPatton » Jul 11th, '13, 16:39

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry to be so dense, but I don't understand a lot of this stuff. Would options 2 or 3 above be a workaround? I've never used #3 to encrypt a disk, but have used #2 many times. Is there any downside to this?

Much appreciated.

Postby Dustin F » Jul 12th, '13, 07:28

Hi CharPatton,

I'm not sure if option 2 would work or not, option 3 would be the same is selecting it in disk utility.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby CharPatton » Jul 13th, '13, 10:47

Thanks for quick reply!

Here's what I've learned from other sources in case anyone else has a similar query: in a nutshell, one cannot encrypt a RAID disk, at least easily. Right clicking and choosing encrypt did not work. Copying an already encrypted disk image didn't work. Thus, will have to sadly return this otherwise superb product and go for something less fancy and fast but with only one disk to encrypt my Time Machine backups.

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php