G-Raid2 (640) Unmounting itself--drives or enclosure?

User

G-Raid2 (640) Unmounting itself--drives or enclosure?

Postby johncessna » Jul 3rd, '13, 05:45

I have an older g-raid2 (640gb) that has worked flawlessly for years.

Recently when I plug it in, sometimes my Mac won't see it, and when it does, it only intermittently works. I can open the drive, but it'll take 30-60 seconds before the files show up, and even worse, it'll unexpectedly unmount itself. I copied about 35gb off it last night and it appears to send data, stop, send data, stop, and once in awhile stops long enough to be umounted.

It won't stay connected long enough to successfully complete either Verify Disk or Repair Disk in disk utility. It's happening using both firewire and USB connections.

I'm trying to figure out if it's the disks that are failing or if it's the enclosure. Can you guys suggest any other tests to try and determine which part is failing? Also, if I buy a new enclosure, set it up for Raid 0 and put the drives in it, will my data remain intact? I believe i have 90% of it all backed up, but it would just be easier for FCP and Premiere files if I didn't have to sort everything out on a new drive.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Re: G-Raid2 (640) Unmounting itself--drives or enclosure?

Postby Dustin F » Jul 3rd, '13, 07:56

Hi John,

Thanks for posting. The delay in the files displaying suggests that at least on of the drive is having mechanical trouble. Has the drive been making any grinding or whining noises? If you wanted to test the enclosure with a different one, it would need to be a g-raid of the same generation. Raids are usually tied to the particular configuration of the chipset that created it and changing controllers can often lead to a corrupted raid set.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby johncessna » Jul 9th, '13, 04:26

Dustin F wrote:Hi John,
Has the drive been making any grinding or whining noises?

No grinding or whining beyond usual spin up noises. There has been some clunking upon startup.

Postby Dustin F » Jul 10th, '13, 07:32

Hi John,

Clunking when the a raid drive first turns on is common. It is usually the unit syncing the drives. It could be the enclosure then.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby johncessna » Jul 10th, '13, 10:43

Dustin F wrote:Hi John,

Clunking when the a raid drive first turns on is common. It is usually the unit syncing the drives. It could be the enclosure then.

Unfortunately now I'm getting some whining and a clicking, which I believe is the arm unable to get a read off the platter.

If I wanted to try it in a new enclosure I'd need a similar g-raid generation thought, right? Probably fairly tough to find since this was made in June of 2007.

Postby Dustin F » Jul 12th, '13, 07:24

Hi John,

If the drive is now clicking you are better off just taking it to a data recovery service. A new enclosure won't really help you if there is mechanical trouble with the drive. There are several data recovery services that we are partnered with who provide discounts on their services for our products. You can find them listed in this link. http://www.hgst.com/warranty/jsp/arma24h.jsp
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php