Will my Gen3 G-Safe take 4TB drives

User

Will my Gen3 G-Safe take 4TB drives

Postby DanS » Jun 18th, '13, 21:00

Hi,

I've got two 2TB drives in my Gen3 G-Safe, and it's simply no longer enough for my stills and video. Will it take 4TB drives?

Thank you,

Re: Will my Gen3 G-Safe take 4TB drives

Postby Gene G » Jun 19th, '13, 08:11

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post. It may be possible to use your G-SAFE GEN3 with drives 3TB and larger, it depends on the chipset and firmware in your unit. To tell if your G-SAFE is capable, watch the LCD screen on startup, if the unit indicates that it is GEN4 on the startup screen, it will support the larger drives. What is the firmware version indicated on the second line at startup, it will read V1xx.xxxx. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby mhammon » Apr 19th, '14, 13:51

I too am interested in running bigger drives in my G-Safe. On start-up the screen shows that it is Gen 4 and firmware is RAID 1, V110.0503.

So, how high a capacity drive can I load in each bay, would I buy the drives and attach the sled mechanisms from the current drive modules, what drives would you recommend (Hitachi, I would guess), and where would I purchase them?

Thanks

Postby Dustin F » Apr 23rd, '14, 12:09

Hi mhammon,

Thanks for posting. That was the last generation of g-safe with the latest firmware. That will be able to support 3 and 4TB drives.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-SAFE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php