Copying from one RAID to another

User

Copying from one RAID to another

Postby johnnyq » Sep 20th, '12, 20:42

I purchased two 4TB raids, one for data and the other as backup. I have them connected via Firewire 800, 2nd drive daisy chained to an imac i7. In copying files from RAID 1 to the second external RAID, I get an error -36 after a few minutes of successful copying to an alert saying that drive 2 has ejected itself. I have to turn off the drive and wait for it to remount onto the desktop to "try" again. My first thought was drive two is bad. But I have reformatted, erased, repartioned, switched cable order, switched even electrical and the exact same thing happens. I took the second drive back to the store and got a new one. Same problem as before. The second drive always unmounts or ejects, never the first. The only way I can copy from one RAID to the other successfully, albeit slowly, is to have one drive connected Firewire 800 and the other USB 2.0. This doesn't seem right. I should be able to connect these two drives FW800 (length is less than 6 ft) daisy chained. Anybody have any ideas whats going on?

Re: Copying from one RAID to another

Postby Gene G » Sep 21st, '12, 11:02

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your post. I have sent you a private message, please check it and get back to me.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby parro55 » Oct 10th, '12, 16:10

Using firewire 800 on 4tb and 2tb Graid drives self ejecting and giving the idiot notice daisy chained to iMac 27" 3.1 tried allsorts. Not always mounting when backing up using Carbon Copy Cloner. Any help please. Have even had apple involved and new drives. HELP anyone pleeease.

Postby Gene G » Oct 11th, '12, 07:35

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I sent you a private message regarding your issue.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby limborocks » Jun 3rd, '13, 09:41

Gene, sending a PM to these guys doesn't help the rest of us and defeats the basic principal of forums.

I'm looking to back up one GRaid 4TB that acts as an external drive on my iMac with another GRaid 4TB drive. I don't see any configuration ideas within the user manual.

It would be great if I could just mirror it, so any changes to the main external drive, automatically get changed to the second external drive.

Ideas?

Steve

Postby Gene G » Jun 25th, '13, 10:09

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your post. I generally send private messages asking for serial numbers and personal information that does not belong on a forum. If you want to have an automatic backup of your G-RAID, you could create a Mirror RAIDset in Disk Utility, or use a cloning software such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. I believe you are looking for the Mirrored RAIDset in Disk Utility. You can do this by having the 2 G-RAIDs mounted on your computer, then open Disk Utility and go to the RAID Tab. There you can drag each of your G-RAIDs into the window and create the Mirror. Please note that doing this will destroy any data on the hard drive. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php