Thunderbolt power for G-RAID Mini

User

Thunderbolt power for G-RAID Mini

Postby noclue41 » May 22nd, '13, 06:42

So, got a new MacBook Pro w/ Retina and was all excited to edit video remotely. I was disappointed to learn the G-RAID Mini cannot be powered via Apple's Thunderbolt/Firewire 800 adapter. The drive sounds like it is desperately trying to spin up, but does not connect. I end up having to use the power adapter. Has anyone found another Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter that will adequately power a G-RAID Mini?

Re: Thunderbolt power for G-RAID Mini

Postby Dustin F » May 22nd, '13, 07:06

Hi noclue41,

Thanks for posting. The G-Raid mini will always require a power adapter as it has two drives. Bus power is simply insufficient to spin up the drives. The only drives that can be powered via bus would be single 2.5" external drives such as the G-Drive Mobile or the G-Drive Mini.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby fchixon » May 27th, '13, 12:20

The instructions say that you don't if you are using the FW800 connection. I use mine on a Thunderbolt Apple monitor and it works fine. I also plug it directly into an iMac FW800 connection as well.

Postby Dustin F » May 28th, '13, 09:33

Noclue,

While in ideal conditions with a firewire port that can supply sufficient power the drive could be bus powered. However most of the time this is not the case. Various systems depending on there available power and how well that system distributes power can affect it, using an adapter can dissipate the amperage in the connection. That is way the power supply is provided with the drive.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby aaronc » Jul 9th, '13, 17:41

Dustin F wrote:Noclue,

While in ideal conditions with a firewire port that can supply sufficient power the drive could be bus powered. However most of the time this is not the case. Various systems depending on there available power and how well that system distributes power can affect it, using an adapter can dissipate the amperage in the connection. That is way the power supply is provided with the drive.

Will using the G-RAID Mini power adapter in conjunction with the USB or FW connections harm the device?

Postby Dustin F » Jul 10th, '13, 07:08

Hi aaronc,
Using the power adapter with the usb or firewire will not harm the device.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-RAID mini

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php