Thumbnails in Video section of iOS App?

User

Thumbnails in Video section of iOS App?

Postby ClearSkies » Apr 11th, '12, 11:18

I can't find this answer anywhere online, and I've looked; also posted questions for various reviewers @ AMZ without reply. So I'm posting here, hoping ....

In the Video section for movies from within the iPad app, what are the thumbnail images -- is it a random/first video frame, or the movie's assigned Artwork that appears for the file in the iTunes' movie tab and in the Finder window in OS X? The promo shots in product listings aren't conclusive on this issue for Video, although it looks like Photos do preview with actual photo thumbnails.

The problem of Text-only titles is a big reason I returned the Kingston Wi-Drive I had -- my youngest daughter needs artwork to help select her favorite shows since she isn't old enough to read well. However, she has no problem tapping on the picture of the movie or TV show she wants to watch, and this would allow her to do things solo in the back seat of the car :D

Administrator

Re: Thumbnails in Video section of iOS App?

Postby Adrian C » Apr 12th, '12, 15:36

Hi ClearSkies,

By default I believe the thumbnail will be taken of a screen capture either 1 sec or 8 secs into the movie depending on the movie length. (If the video is < 8 sec long, then 1 second.)

We are just trying a purchased movie here, to see if the metadata takes preference over this. I'll update this thread once we have tested it.

Regards

Adrian
G-Technology Support Center

User

Postby ClearSkies » Apr 20th, '12, 05:33

Any progress on finding out about the video metadata yet?

Just wanted to check as it's been about a week since your last post. -- thx.

Postby Brandon P » Apr 20th, '12, 08:54

Hello,

We ran tests with purchased content and our own rips. It will always attempt a thumbnail shot within the first few seconds of the video file. So as of now you will not see any special cover art images of a show or movie even if purchased content.

We are definitely looking into this as a update in a future release to give a better customer experience and ease of navigation.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Postby ClearSkies » Apr 20th, '12, 09:52

Brandon P wrote:We are definitely looking into this as a update in a future release to give a better customer experience and ease of navigation.

Rats. Thanks to you both for checking.

Please consider updating this thread if the artwork/metadata feature gets added into a software update, so people who check the forum might find out about it - from the current product promo shots online, it looked like it did work :(.

This would be a killer feature for the G-Connect, as people have been complaining about the metadata/artwork issue in the Seagate Satellite and Kingston Wi-Drive since their release.

I'll have to wait and keep my fingers crossed for yours, myself, since my 4yo really needs this feature. It's a bit of a pain to keep syncing up the iPad every time she wants different videos, but until then I'll have to make do.

Return to iOS app

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php