G-Raid 4 TB Drive Will Not Allow Writing

User

G-Raid 4 TB Drive Will Not Allow Writing

Postby rdavidson645 » May 7th, '13, 15:58

I purchased the above drive several months ago, and it worked for awhile, and then I could not write to it. Tried to repair it with TechTool Pro 6 and Disk Utility on my MacPro with Mountain Lion OS. Neither application could repair it, so I was forced to format it, thus loosing all of the files on it. It worked for several days, and then the exact same thing happened. I again formatted the drive, and it was good for a week or so, and now the exact same thing has happened. I can read all of the files, but cannot write to the drive. Is this drive now ready for a replacement drive, or is there something I can do to revive it with software? I am getting tired of formatting and replacing all of the files which are lost.

Re: G-Raid 4 TB Drive Will Not Allow Writing

Postby Dustin F » May 8th, '13, 07:48

Hi rdavidson,

Thanks for posting. When you reformat are you using the erase tab or the partition tab? If partition table files are affected the erase tab may not always fix it. Using the partition tab to delete and recreate the partition often takes care of lingering issue files. One thing to also consider is if any of your files may be corrupt which can often cause the drive to go into a read only status. Is it happening after any specific file is used or put on to the drive? If this is the case a replacement drive will not help. I would recommend first repartitioning the drive and possibly swapping the connection cable to rule those out. Also is this drive just a data drive or is it being used with time machine? I have sometimes seen issues of some versions of time machine causing drives to go into read only. Especially if the computer goes to sleep while it is trying to back up. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: G-Raid 4 TB Drive Will Not Allow Writing

Postby rdavidson645 » May 8th, '13, 12:28

Dustin, thank you for your response. I have repartitioned the drive, and will start to place files back on it. I have done this before, but I might have used the erase command rather than the partition command.
As for your other suggestions: Fles that are written on the drive which are corrupted-Since I have used this as a backup drive for many of my image files, I have transferred large folders to the drive. I think there might well have been a corrupted file or more in these large folders. I also have set backup with the application Chronosync to make automatic backups to the G-Raid drive. My TimeMachine is connected to another drive. How can I determine if there are corrupted files so I can get rid of them? Can they be corrected or must the file be deleted? I do think I recall on the transfer of some of these folders that a message appeared re a corrupted file. I clicked ok, and I believe the transfer continued. What should I have done?

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php