8TB G-RAID not working, keeps unmounting

User

8TB G-RAID not working, keeps unmounting

Postby jamespayne » Apr 30th, '13, 01:43

Hello,

We have an 8TB G-RAID (8 months old) configured in Raid 0 - It has suddenly stopped working on our Mac Pro server running 10.5.8.

I have tried mounting it on an iMac running 10.7.5 but it keeps showing up as a hard drive on the desktop (not with the normal G-RAID icon) , then unmounting itself. It won't mount fully enough for me to see the contents of the drive - The G-RAID is greyed out in Disk Utility.

The white light on the front is blinking pretty much the whole time.

I have tried swapping cables and using both the FW800 and USB ports but no luck.

Any ideas on what to do? I've read a LOT of posts across the web about these drives being unreliable and having problems with the controller - does this sound like it might be the case, or is it a drive failure?

Thanks,

James

Re: 8TB G-RAID not working, keeps unmounting

Postby Dustin F » Apr 30th, '13, 07:16

Hi jamespayne,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like the drive is still appearing in disk utility after it drops from the desktop. If it were the controller card it would not be appearing in disk utility at all. A grayed out partition in disk utility usually indicates a logical error with the partition map. If you haven't tried doing so you can run disk repair on the partition with the first aid tab. If this does not work one of the better tools on the market for repairing partitions is a third part software called disk warrior. In most cases disk warrior can succeed where disk repair fails. Here is a link to their site. http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ Please let me know if you have any questions.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby jamespayne » Apr 30th, '13, 07:23

Hi Dustin,

thank for your reply. Unfortunately we've tried DiskWarrior and it's unable to do anything with the drive :-(

Even Data Rescue is taking over an hour to read the disk, and as soon as we try and recover any data, it keeps crashing - presumably because of the bad blocks?

James

Postby Dustin F » May 6th, '13, 09:47

Hi James,

If it is unable to repair, you have a couple of choices. You could send the drive in to a data recovery service for more advanced data retrieval, or if the data is backed up elsewhere you could attempt to reformat the drive. If the drive is unable to format there may be some kind of mechanical issue which if the drive is under warranty can be replaced through filing an RMA. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php