Replacing G-Raid Drives

User

Replacing G-Raid Drives

Postby Gaz » Feb 8th, '13, 14:33

I have an early 500gb G-Raid that I'd like to upgrade to larger drives. It's approximately 3 years old. Looking at the hgst website the 7k3000 and 5k3000 appear compatible but do I have to use these exact drives or can I use any brand and design? Is it possible to increase and if so what is the ceiling? The only info I can find is on G-Drive replacements, nothing on G-Raid.

Regards

Re: Replacing G-Raid Drives

Postby Gene G » Feb 11th, '13, 09:28

Hi Gaz,

Thanks for your post. Do you have the original G-RAID or the G-RAID2? If it is the original G-RAID, it uses ATA drives and may have difficulty upgrading the capacity. If it is the G-RAID2, then the maximum capacity for that unit is 2TB, or 2x1TB drives. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby natewalker » Mar 18th, '13, 10:36

I have a G_RAID 4th generation, originally a 2TB model. The drives died. I have considered replacing them with dual 2TB Seagate Barracuda drives, but wonder if the size limitation of 2TB still applies to this drive? Thanks.

Postby Gene G » Mar 18th, '13, 15:22

Hi Nate,

Thanks for your post. Your G-RAID GEN4 should be able to handle up to 2TB drives, for a total of 4TB. Please keep in mind that doing this will void your warranty. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby Gaz » Mar 28th, '13, 00:52

Gene G wrote:Hi Gaz,

Thanks for your post. Do you have the original G-RAID or the G-RAID2? If it is the original G-RAID, it uses ATA drives and may have difficulty upgrading the capacity. If it is the G-RAID2, then the maximum capacity for that unit is 2TB, or 2x1TB drives. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hey Gene,

I didn't buy it new but could be an original G-Raid. It has a G-Tech logo on the back with a bit of a swoosh over it which I don't think I've seen in a while. Looks a bit retro. Any way of knowing for sure? Other than potentially having two drives without a case is there any harm in trying to upgrade? Anything I should look out for? When you say ATA do you mean IDE/ATA? Forgive my ignorance.

Thanks

Postby Gene G » Apr 2nd, '13, 11:00

Hi Gaz,

If the AC Adapter is 5-pin, then it is the original G-RAID, a 4-pin would be a G-RAID2. When I said ATA, I meant IDE/ATA. G-RAID2 and forward are SATA drives. If it is the original G-RAID, you probably will only be able to go to 2x500GB. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php