Video streaming vs transfer then play

User

Video streaming vs transfer then play

Postby jg123 » Apr 9th, '12, 08:12

Funny thing. When I first tried to play movies streaming from the g-connect to my iPad, many of them did not work. Most of them are 720p, H.264 encoded .mp4 at 30fps and AAC-LC (158kbs) audio. Even though these files had played on my iPad many times before they would not stream through the g-connect. However, instead of streaming, if I transfer them to the iPad with the g-connect app they will play without any problems. So don't panic... if it tells you the file format is not supported, transfer it to your iPad with the g-connect app and try it again.

Unfortunately, wirelessly transferring a high def movie takes about 10 mins.

Hopefully a future software update will allow these files to be streamed rather than transferred before being played.

Re: Video streaming vs transfer then play

Postby Brandon P » Apr 9th, '12, 10:35

Hello jg123,

If you can provide some more info on the bitrate of the video we can help further. But based on the rest of the information you have provided it is likely due to the video bitrate being higher than the limit for streaming.

The streaming bitrate limitation is about 2.5-3Mbps. If it goes over that it will not work unless you transfer it to your local device.

If you can re-encode your video to fit that limit you should be fine.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Postby jg123 » Apr 9th, '12, 15:20

Hi Brandon,

That does appear to be the problem. All my videos are around 3M... explaining why they won't stream.

One other problem related to video size when playing back on my tv. When these movies are directly loaded onto the movie app on the iPad they playback fullscreen in 16:9 but when i transfer via the g-connect app, they will not output in fullscreen. Is there a way for me to change the output to fit the fullscreen? Is this something you will address in future software updates?

Thanks

Postby Brandon P » Apr 10th, '12, 09:37

Hello jg123,

There are a few things you can try to get better playback of your files.

What is your range to the G-CONNECT when attempting these?

Are you connecting your G-CONNECT to your router so that it provides internet access? If you are doing so you can change the streaming to be affected by the router's wifi instead of the G-CONNECT's. You basically would set it up as a NAS when doing this.

With regards to the output resolution on the TV. Are you outputting it to the TV with the adapter? If so the output of the iPad would be the resolution of the iPad meaning your 1024x768 so if your TV is 1080p it would be quite a bit less than that. You can try oversampling your screen or zooming in if your TV supports the function. We will also do some testing and see if we have any more feedback to provide.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

Return to Video Playback Troubleshooting

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php