G Speed Q - RAID5 rebuild issue

User

G Speed Q - RAID5 rebuild issue

Postby alexrazd » Nov 26th, '12, 06:30

My G-SPEED Q is connected via eSATA cable to Mac Pro with Newer Technology MAXPower 6G PCIe eSATA RAID Controller card with port multiplier support from OWC.

I decided to test the unit before putting it to real use. So I ran G-Tech Configurator-0810 utility, configured it as RAID5, created and formatted partition, and put a few gigabytes of data on it.

To imitate hard disk failure, I pulled out one drive. As expected, the data on the RAID drive remained intact. To imitate real life situation, I added some more files onto the RAID5 volume, and inserted drive back.

RAID5 started rebuilding: red light was blinking, and blue light on the reinstalled drive was blinking blue/amber. It took about 1 day to stop blinking. All data seemed to be fine, no more blinking lights. I assumed that RAID5 has finished rebuilding.

I added some more data onto the drive (still no lights were blinking). Then I shut down my Mac Pro and turned off G-SPEED Q.

In the morning I turned on the G-SPEED Q unit, and it went back to blinking lights as if it continued rebuilding RAID. Doesn't look right to me... any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Alex

Re: G Speed Q - RAID5 rebuild issue

Postby Gene G » Nov 26th, '12, 10:56

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your post. Did the G-SPEED Q finish rebuilding after you originally configured the GSP-Q? Are the same lights blinking in the same manner? Have you let it finish rebuilding, and if so, does it repeat the issue? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby alexrazd » Nov 26th, '12, 19:22

Gene G wrote:Hi Alex,

Thanks for your post. Did the G-SPEED Q finish rebuilding after you originally configured the GSP-Q? Are the same lights blinking in the same manner? Have you let it finish rebuilding, and if so, does it repeat the issue? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hi Gene,

Yes, the rebuilding was finished, the red light and the drive light stopped blinking. After about an hour I shut down the Mac Pro, and turned G-SPEED Q off for the night.

When I turned it on the next morning, after it's usual startup sequence, it began blinking the same drive light along with red light. All other drives had solid blue light. The data on the array was intact. Looks like it "did not know" that it completed rebuilding yesterday.

It originally took over 24 hours to finish rebuilding. Is this normal? I am hesitant to put real data on this array as I don't know if it will rebuild correctly when one of drives fails.

Thank you.

Alex

Postby Gene G » Nov 27th, '12, 12:15

Hi Alex,

24 hours is about right for larger volume drives to rebuild. Did the drive finish rebuilding the second time? Is it working OK? If the drive keeps exhibiting the issue, I would recommend returning for replacement.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby alexrazd » Nov 27th, '12, 14:10

24 hours is about right for larger volume drives to rebuild. Did the drive finish rebuilding the second time? Is it working OK? If the drive keeps exhibiting the issue, I would recommend returning for replacement.

Regards,

Hi Gene,

I did not let it finish second time, simply deleted and reconfigured RAID array.

Now I will try it, and will let you know.

Thanks!

User

Postby alexrazd » Nov 28th, '12, 10:38

alexrazd wrote:

Regards,

Hi Gene,

I did not let it finish second time, simply deleted and reconfigured RAID array.

Now I will try it, and will let you know.

Thanks!

Gene,

Per your suggestion, I decided to repeat the exercise (imitate disk failure and array rebuilding test).

Results so far:

Last night I pulled a drive from a working array, added a few files to the RAID5 volume, waited for an hour, inserted disk back. The RAID5 started to rebuild.

After about 14 hours it stopped blinking. For 2 hours I was not touching it. Everything seemed to be fine, no blinking lights. I restarted Mac Pro a couple times, drive mounted fine. RAID5 was rebuilt, I assume.

Then I ejected the RAID5 volume in Finder, disconnected the eSATA cable, and turned G-SPEED Q off. Waited for 45 min, turned the unit back on. At this time I expected that it would work as if the RAID5 array is in good shape. But after about 30 seconds the disk that I used to imitate failure started to blink blue/amber in sync with the red light. The array is rebuilding again. This time I will wait till it stops blinking.

Will report the progress when it's finished.

Thanks,
Alex

Return to G-SPEED Q

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php