G-Drive's in RAID 1 ... constant activity...

User

G-Drive's in RAID 1 ... constant activity...

Postby RobNorthover » Nov 21st, '12, 19:24

Hi there,

I have two G-Drive's (2 TB) using RAID 1 with the IMAC's built-in RAID 1 capability. I've tried this over USB and firewire but am getting the same result.

Issue: There is constant activity between the two RAID 1 G-DRIVES. This is proven by constantly flashing lights of the drives and monitoring the IO with the MAC utilities.

What I've done: Setup RAID 1 normally with the MAC Disk Utility. Copied over the data I wanted on there successfully. Made sure the RAID pair is excluded from Time Machine (MAC did this for me automatically).

Yet the disks are constantly active ... which I don't want and can't figure out why. To clarify, they're mostly images and some business files and are not at all in use, there's no reason for them to be in constant use!

Any clues anyone? Thank you!

-Rob

Re: G-Drive's in RAID 1 ... constant activity...

Postby Gene G » Nov 26th, '12, 08:56

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your post. The activity you are seeing is most likely Journaling of the drives, as you have recently copied data to the drives. The activity should go away once the journaling is complete. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Re: G-Drive's in RAID 1 ... constant activity...

Postby RobNorthover » Nov 26th, '12, 17:16

Hi Gene,

Unfortunately I've found the root cause. It kept rebuilding the drive - looks like one of my G-Drive's was dead right out. The other one is fine and I'm backing it up to my MAC HD right now while I deal with the return of the other :( Thanks for your help though, appreciated!

-Rob

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php