G-Safe drive updates

User

G-Safe drive updates

Postby scm2012 » Nov 22nd, '12, 11:08

I need more space on my G-Safes (currently running 3 units). Since these are not being made at this time, can I add new drives that are bigger to these units. I.E. if I have a 1TB unit, can I swap in 4TB drives? If so, what would be the best way to do this?

If you aren't allowed to answer that, please let me know rather than saying 'No, this can't be done'. Also, bonus question: is there any sense that the G-Safe or a similar system will be reintroduced to the product line? In addition to using them myself, I recommend them to my students for their simplicity and cost - so in that sense a 4-bay system is not a replacement.

Thanks much

-s

Re: G-Safe drive updates

Postby Gene G » Nov 26th, '12, 10:20

Hi,

Thanks for your post. The G-SAFE can support drives up to 2TB unless it has the latest chipset and firmware, which would allow using drives over 2TB. The way to find out is to watch the LCD screen upon startup. If it indicates a G-SAFE GEN 4, then it has the chipset that can accomodate larger drives. The latest firmware would be V110.0503. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

Return to G-SAFE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php