Drives fail to mount multiple times

User

Drives fail to mount multiple times

Postby mrmeister » Feb 11th, '13, 15:07

Hi,
I have 2 G-Drive Mini's of 500GB and 750GB capacities that i bought around 2 years ago. From the first time i plugged both of them in to my mac (via FW800) they have had mounting issues: in that it would fail to appear in Finder and Disk Utility on my mac.
It was minor at first, maybe it would happen once every week - 2 weeks, but now it's happening at least 2 times EVERY time i connect the drives to my mac.
I can't understand what the problem would be, and it's not even like it's one bad drive, the fact that it is happening on both drives, and on 2 different macbook pro's (i've upgraded from a late 2008 to a late 2011 since buying) is beyond me.

Does anyone have any ideas on anything that could be done? It's really important to me that the 750GB drive in particular starts when i need it to, as it functions as my audio/video drive for all of my Pro Tools and other video editing sessions for my work.

Thanks
mrmeister

Re: Drives fail to mount multiple times

Postby Dustin F » Feb 12th, '13, 08:23

Hi mrmeister,

Thank you for posting. Are the drives being connected via daisy chain? If so are they working attached one at a time? If one of the drives has issues by itself you could try switching the cable or even seeing if it works on usb. Please let me know of the results.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby mrmeister » Feb 13th, '13, 04:54

I run the drives without daisychain.
Basically, to use my setup i have my audio interface (FW400) going into the back of my desired G Tech, usually the 750GB via a 400-800 cable, then i have the drive plugged into my mac via FW800.

It's annoying because it means if my drive fails to mount, i have to restart the whole setup as the audio interface is not supposed to be hot-swapped (apparently it could result in the firewire functionality breaking, which is not covered by warranty).

It's not the interface that's the problem though, because when i've attempted to troubleshoot the problem and only had my mac and G Tech, no peripherals, the problem still persists.

Is there any way to use the drive on USB without the need for a power supply? I'm pretty sure the last time i tried it with USB (probably when i first bought it) it just resulted in a clicking sound due to being underpowered, although i can't re-create this right this second as my USB cable is elsewhere.

Thanks so far,
mrmeister

Postby Dustin F » Feb 13th, '13, 16:38

Hi,
The audio interface does count as a device for daisy chain even if there is only one drive. Since you said that the drive still exhibits the behavior without the audio setup attached have you tried a different firewire cable? Usb can usually be used without power on the unit if the usb cable is under 18 inches, if that is the case and it still clicks on usb then the computer cannot provide enough power to the drive to power it. This could also be the part of the problem; if the drive with continuing age needs more power than can be provided by firewire port you can try adding a power adapter. They are available from the accessories section of our site or you can purchase a generic adapter with an output 12 volts and at least 1 amp. If the problem persists it is most likely the drives and you can check warranty status and file an RMA to have the drives replaced under warranty from out sites support section.
http://www.g-technology.com/support/warranty_rma.cfm
Since it is happening on both drives I am thinking it is more likely a power issue. Hope this helps.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby mrmeister » Feb 28th, '13, 09:16

Hi,
Sorry it's been a while. I finally received a suitable psu (it powers the drive when it's not plugged in) but i'm still having exactly the same mounting issues. The problem is now getting progressively worse, it took me 45 minutes to get it to mount successfully last night, which, when was only needing to spend 30 minutes on a job to finish it is a major disappointment and annoyance to me.
I've just had 5 successful mounts in a row with the provided USB cable and psu, which is now unheard of with the FW cable (i am using the provided FW cables on BOTH hard drives).
I also can't file for an RMA because the stickers that you choose to print the serial numbers onto use a terrible ink that scratches off. I can only see a tiny bit of my barcode and NO NUMBER underneath it.
What do you suggest i do?

User

Postby mrmeister » Feb 28th, '13, 09:38

For some reason the Upload attachment won't actually let me upload an attachment...

I've taken pictures of what i mean about the warranty stickers here:

500GB - http://i.imgur.com/ktCsThw.jpg
750GB - http://i.imgur.com/OlHqocb.jpg

The red and blue dot stickers are just so that i can tell the two drives apart without plugging them in.

Postby Dustin F » Mar 4th, '13, 09:35

Hi mrmeister,

If you are having successful mounts with the usb and power adapter but still trouble on firewire using the same cable for both, try replacing the firewire cable. I would still recommend using the power adapter for firewire as well as usb. In regards to the serial numbers if they are scratched off they are not valid for warranty.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby mrmeister » Mar 4th, '13, 10:52

Dustin F wrote:Hi mrmeister,

If you are having successful mounts with the usb and power adapter but still trouble on firewire using the same cable for both, try replacing the firewire cable. I would still recommend using the power adapter for firewire as well as usb. In regards to the serial numbers if they are scratched off they are not valid for warranty.

OK, so how is this fair in the slightest?? First you have clearly sold me bad drives as they are BOTH having the same problems connecting to my Macbook and the Mac Pro's i use in college, then you make me buy a power supply, an additional cost that doesn't make any difference, now you're wanting me to buy another firewire cable?? Do you have any idea whether this will make a difference or is this just another guessing game? And then to add insult to injury you tell me that my 3 year warranty is no longer viable because the ink that YOUR COMPANY decided to use on the warranty has scratched off from general and very careful use. I have never stacked the drives on top of each other or anything, but the desk i work on, and if i choose to go mobile and take the drive with me i put it in the case that YOU provided. This is NOT my fault at all and i am definitely not happy!

I have done NOTHING wrong here, and yet i seem to be the victim in this mess!

User

Postby mrmeister » Mar 4th, '13, 10:56

Just to confirm, your stickers on the back of the drives state "Warranty Void If Removed". This can be seen clearly in the pictures i provided.

I have made no attempt in the slightest to remove these stickers. The wear on the serial numbers is purely the fault of G Tech for providing such bad ink.

Postby Gene G » Mar 4th, '13, 12:10

Hi mmeister,

Your drives are within warranty, please contact me at eugene.gilbert@hgst.com with your contact info and the photos of the drives. If you have a receipt that has the serial numbers on it, it would be helpful, but not absolutely necessary. Once you contact me we will get you taken care of.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

Next

Return to G-DRIVE mini

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php