Having trouble with a new G-Speed ES

User

Having trouble with a new G-Speed ES

Postby LelandGray » Nov 2nd, '12, 06:20

First, let me say that the lack of documentation for this product is horrendous. When I opened the box, I was suprised to see NOTHING at all. Not even a small sheet of paper directing me to the support section of the site.

Since I had no documentation to go off of, I just hooked everything up and turned it on (Windows 7). I had problems from the start, so I called the tech support. The guy I spoke to was very rude and short with me. He asked if I formatted the drives, I said I assumed they were packaged ready to go, and he said I shouldn't have made that assumption. He said their drives are formatted for Mac, and that I'd have to format them. That would have been nice to know. I told him it would have been nice to have some sort of documentation to go off of.

Anyway, that's all water under the bridge. I 'cleaned' the drives using diskpart, and I formatted them and they are up and running in a RAID 5 set up like I want. My problem is this:

If I turn off the computer, when I turn it back on and the G-Speed is already turned on, Windows won't boot. It just sits there at the Windows boot screen. If the G-Speed is off when I boot up Windows, and then I turn it on once I am logged in, the drive either doesn't show up or it takes a lot of 'fiddling' to get it to appear.

So, what's the proper protocol for turning off/on a Windows7 machine with this G-Speed attached? Should I leave them both on all the time? If I do need to turn the computer off, what's the procedure? I looked all over the site, but couldn't find an answer. The issue is going to be that I'm not the main user. I'm okay with having to play around with it to get it going again, but the main user isn't as patient or computer literate.

Thank you for your time.
LG

Re: Having trouble with a new G-Speed ES

Postby Gene G » Nov 5th, '12, 15:58

Hi LG,

Thanks for your post. It sounds like there is a boot-up conflict between the 4-port card and the computer. As you have seen, turning the drive on after boot-up will allow the computer to boot properly. Your next step would be to log into the WEB GUI and click on the Rescan button until the drive appears, and it can sometimes take as many as 6-8 times. After that the drive should mount and work OK. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby LelandGray » Nov 6th, '12, 10:14

Thank you for the response Gene. That seems to work, but it's a little disconcerting that this is what we have to do. Does anything need to be done before the drives are shut down at night? Is there a special process to that, too?

Postby Gene G » Nov 6th, '12, 10:52

You're welcome Leland. I agree it is not the most elegant solution, but is sometimes necessary. There is no real process necessary to shut down the drives at night, just shut down the computer, then power down the drives. If you ever need to run the drives on another similarly equipped system, then I recommend that you "Unplug" the drive from the system by logging into the WEB GUI, then click on the Maintenance link under the logical devices, then choose Unplug, and you will hear the drives disconnect from the system, and you can then turn off the drives. This also works when you want to turn off the drives and still use the system. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

Return to G-SPEED eS

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php