4TB sleep mode / standby

User

4TB sleep mode / standby

Postby Radischem » Feb 7th, '13, 13:50

Hello

I'm currently using a Mac mini and I'm having a 4TB g-raid which is running constantly due to an online backup solution (and me being lazy). That said, I want the disks to last a long time and since I'm jumping to a new iMac, which I won't leave running all the time, I wonder what the best behavior is.

Should I let the hard disks go to sleep when not needed? As far as I know that would shorten the lifespan and its annoying when I want to listen to music and have to wait until the hard disks spun up again. So what is the preferred setting when the Mac is running?

Now I may or may not switch the iMac off completely, but will have it go to sleep or standby mode. What is the preferred method for the disks then? I would find it rather annoying if I would have to switch the g-raid off completely, but would do so if required. Do they go to sleep with the Mac, e.g. Does the g-raid have a standby mode?

Maybe there's software out there which I shold know to get better control of my disks.

Thanks for your help!

PS: the g-raid is stil usb2.0 and I'm running it using FireWire 800. Since the new iMac doesn't have FireWire anymore, I'm planning on using an adapter to thunderbolt. Please let me know if a different solution is preferable.

Re: 4TB sleep mode / standby

Postby Dustin F » Feb 7th, '13, 16:32

Hi, Thanks for posting.

To prevent the spin down during program use (i.e. music playback) go to system preferences and double click the energy saver category. Make sure "Put the harddisk(s) to sleep when possible." is unchecked.
The drives themselves will idle after 10 minutes of non-use on their own and would also do so when the computer goes to sleep or hibernates. This is not the same as putting the drive to sleep as with the power saver option. If the new computer has thunderbolt the adapter to firewire 800 will work fine.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Radischem » Feb 7th, '13, 21:31

Thanks Justin for the quick reply. Does that mean I can leave the disk on always? When I switch off the computer, the disk will go to sleep a few minutes later, which is okay in comparison to switching it off with the button? I'm comparing that to me TV, which would mean its on standby.

Just making sure I understood you correctly. Again, thank you for your support.

Greetings from Germany

Postby Dustin F » Feb 8th, '13, 08:29

Correct. It is fine to leave the drive on, the idle mode reduces power use of the drive during non use. As soon as you access it again the drive will spin up. Just make sure the power saver setting I mentioned before is unchecked.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby goudarz » Mar 9th, '13, 08:48

I have two G-raid drive with push button for power that are connected to the same power strip that my computer is on. Is there a way to have them come to life whenever computer is turned on instead of having to reach back of the drive and push the on/off button?

Postby Gene G » Mar 11th, '13, 07:23

Hi goudarz,

Thanks for your post. As it turns out, the G-RAID has a "soft" switch that requires the unit be turned on manually whenever it is turned off or loses power. It cannot function in the manner you wish. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby Smolla » Mar 11th, '13, 21:29

Thanks for the valuable information. It very much was useful to me.
Compra generico Lamictal Dispersible on-line. Compra Lamotrigine senza ricetta online / Anticonvulsants
trental

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php