G-RAID GEN4 2TB EMEA not mounting

User

G-RAID GEN4 2TB EMEA not mounting

Postby paulp9110 » Feb 6th, '13, 07:08

OSX 10.75

I have the above drive which is not mounting through any of it connections. Its spin up but then won't mount. Disk Utility cannot see it. I believe the drive was in a RAID0 config as I was able to access all the space. I know this drive is old and out of warranty and its only really the data I'm after now. I can't afford data recovery, any thoughts or advice ? Can I remount it in another caddy to see if the discs themselves still have any life in them ?

Thanks

P

Re: G-RAID GEN4 2TB EMEA not mounting

Postby Gene G » Feb 6th, '13, 10:01

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post. Do you hear/feel the drives spinning? Do you hear any unusual sounds or activity? Have you tried a different cable or port? Another computer? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby paulp9110 » Feb 6th, '13, 15:22

Hi Gene.

Thanks for getting back to me. I can feel the drives spinning (or at least one of them), but there isn't the usual flurry of access activity as a drive mounts. I have tried both Firewire800 ports and the USB connection on the drive, and used 2 different macs and few different cables.

There is a soft double clicking sound every few minutes while the drive remains on but that is all. There is no loud clicking or grinding noises.

What would be the next step ?

Thanks

Paul

Postby Gene G » Feb 6th, '13, 16:06

Hi Paul,

It sounds like it may be a possible drive or controller board failure. Try starting it up with you ear against the top of the G-RAID and listen carefully. Sometimes whan there is a drive failure there is no sound, so you are listening for 2 drives starting up, you can usually hear 2 distinct spinning sounds, or if there is a clicking or grinding it may be very slight. As it does not appear in Disk Utility, you might try running DiskWarrior or Data Rescue on the drive to see if it may be a directory issue or if it can recover your data.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php