Replace G-drive? largest and specs?

User

Replace G-drive? largest and specs?

Postby pwygant » Oct 20th, '12, 11:33

Greetings,

I have an older G-drive with USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. This particular unit came with a 320Gb hard drive. Forgive me if this can't be asked in this particular forum but what particular specs if any do I need to replace this drive with? What is the largest drive I can put in here that the hardware can support? I was thinking about picking up a 1TB Hitachi 7200 SATA drive.

//Thanks

Re: Replace G-drive? largest and specs?

Postby Gene G » Oct 23rd, '12, 07:27

Hi,

Thanks for your post. If your drive has a SATA connection inside, then it should work fine with a 1TB drive. If it is an ATA drive, then you will be limited by drive availability. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby Williemyers123 » Oct 27th, '12, 05:15

Gene, i've got a similiar question, except that I am trying to replace the drive in my ols G-Drive Q 160 with a 2 TB WD Caviar Green (SATA II). The physical changeover went smooth enough, but it will not mount via FW800 on my MacPro's desktop. Any thoughts?
many thanks

User

Postby Williemyers123 » Oct 27th, '12, 05:26

hey Gene, please disregard prior post! turned out to be a dodgy FW800 cable and with the new cable in place, it's mounting just fine!

User

Postby Williemyers123 » Oct 29th, '12, 10:17

o.k., Gene....please disregard THAT prior post!
It's not mounting...or at least, consistently
The drive that I put in to my G-Drive Q160 enclosure is a WD Caviar Green 2 TB SATA II (3.0Gb/sec).
I'm using a Mac Pro 8-core running OS 10.6.8.
Sometimes it will show up when I'm using the FW connectors, sometimes when I use the USB connector, most times, it won't show up at all and at those times, Disk Utility and System Perfs cannot "see" the drive at all.
Any thoughts?

Postby Gene G » Oct 29th, '12, 11:52

Hi Willie,

Thanks for your posts. It sounds like it may be the controller board in your unit. Could you please contact me at eugene.gilbert@hgst with your drive's serial number S/N, as well as a picture of the controller board inside the unit. I'll take a look at those and contact you back directly.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php