Mac can't read G-Drive

User

Mac can't read G-Drive

Postby JeremyTVP » Sep 19th, '12, 09:02

I have a G-Drive 2TB. When turning on my Mac and drive, I got an error message that read:

"Mac OS X can’t repair the disk “G2TB-5.”

You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can."

Upon seeing this, I tried to to move all my files from this drive to another, but when i opened it up in my finder, the drive was blank. When I went to get the drives info it showed that there was data on the drive.

The Drive isn't making any weirds sounds or anything.

Is there any way i can retrieve my data?

Re: Mac can't read G-Drive

Postby Gene G » Sep 19th, '12, 10:12

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your post. It sounds like you may have a directory issue. You might try running DiskWarrior on your drive, it can often repair a damaged directory and allow the drive to mount. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby greg1992 » Oct 9th, '12, 10:46

I just purchased a few days ago, the 2TB 7200rpm USB 2.0/Firewire 800 G-Drive. I already had a 750GB USB 2.0/Firewire 800 G-Drive Mobile. I have the 750GB Mobile attached to one of the FW ports of the 2TB drive. The 750 GB Mobile has bus power only.

Since connecting the drive and partitioning it for use as Time Machine, I have had repeated reports of errors requiring repair. I too have cases where i get the same message on startup that the Time Machine Drive cannot be repaired and that I should reformat it. I have been able to repair the disk via the Mac Disk Utility several times in spite of that message since first seeing that startup message. It didn't happen on every restart, but it's been getting progressively worse to the point that it's been almost every restart for the last couple of days.

This afternoon it happened again, but this time I am unable to repair the disk using the Disk Utility. I even restarted in recovery mode after shutting everything down including power to the drives but I could not repair it from there either.

I am concerned that I have a bad drive, and it's only 8 days old. I am hoping that I can at least get the data off the drive. To say I am less than pleased about this would be a gross understatement. The amount of time spent/wasted troubleshooting and repairing this over and over is wholly unacceptable. I now need to go purchase an ADDITIONAL drive in order to have any hope of getting the data off this one. Unfortunately, the Apple Stores do not have any in stock in this area, so I'm left with using another brand.

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 13", 2.3 GHz Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD - all stock. Further details:

Also connected to the Mac is a Belkin powered USB 4-port hub, a Canon Pro9000 MkII printer, and two WD 250GB bus powered HD via the Belkin usb hub. There is an iOS sync/charge cable attached to the second on-board USB port on the Mac. I use it at my desk, connected to a Samsung monitor all on AC power.

Postby Gene G » Oct 9th, '12, 11:44

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your post. There is no obvious answer for your issue. Have you tried other ports or cables? Are you daisy-chaining? What OS are you using? Have you tried running DiskWarrior on the drive? Does it exhibit the same issues on another computer? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby greg1992 » Oct 9th, '12, 12:52

As I said, it is daisy chained to the other G-Drive (750GB Mobile) on the FW800 bus. The 2TB is the first in the chain (powered) and the 750GB Mobile is on the end of the chain (bus powered). I only have one FW port on the Macbook and I need both drives to be available at all times. Most of my data (music, photos, movies) are on the 750GB Mobile. I am using the cables that came with both drives.

I went to the Mac Store to get another in advance of returning this one. They assured me that they would take it back regardless of if I purchased another drive there or not. Since they didn't have any, nor were there in to be found in the Dallas/Fort so I went to Best Buy and picked up a Western Digital My Book Studio and I am going to attempt to copy the partition across using the mac disk utility (the method I got my Time Machine backups over from the previous external HD to the G-Drive). I need a reliable drive for my backup.

It's a shame this didn't work. I thought highly of G-Drive given they use Hitachi disks. A search of the web shows that this is not an isolated issue.

Postby Gene G » Oct 9th, '12, 13:30

Did it exhibit the same condition on another computer? What OS are you running? Does it do this when connected alone?

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby greg1992 » Oct 9th, '12, 14:08

I don't have another computer...only the Macbook Pro. I am running the latest - Mountain Lion at the current patch level - 10.8.2.

I haven't tried connecting it alone because as I said, I need both drives connected all the time. My working data is on the G-Drive 750GB Mobile and my Time Machine is the G-Drive 2TB so both drives need to be available. Connecting it alone may prove it works in that mode, but then it wouldn't serve the purpose for which I purchased it, nor for how it is designed or intended to work.

Postby Gene G » Oct 9th, '12, 15:05

I'm just trying to determine where the problem is coming from, I have not seen any issues with the G-DRIVEs. It may be you just have a bad unit. I recommend that you return it where you purchased it and exchange for a new one.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby greg1992 » Oct 9th, '12, 16:30

Thanks for the assistance, but that is the path I had already chosen. As a customer of G-Tech, and an owner of other devices, I wanted to provide the benefit of my experience.

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php