How to see indexing progress?

User

How to see indexing progress?

Postby Booker » Jul 14th, '12, 17:23

In another post here a user was told that it was possible to see indexing progress in the web app.

I can see the number of files discovered but not the progress. Can you please tell me how to see progess?

Also, today I copied 8G of pics (about 35K images) to the drive by USB. It seems to be taking forever to index. Would I be better off doing the copying in smaller batches or something?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: How to see indexing progress?

Postby Brandon P » Jul 16th, '12, 13:24

Hello Booker,

Individual progress isn't shown, You see a window that will give an overall of how many are left and how many have been completed but there isn't a progress or % indicator at this time.

That many pictures can take about 20 hours or more to index. Copying it in smaller chunks wouldn't help necessarily because it will still take all that time eventually.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Postby MikeyFresh » Aug 12th, '12, 09:55

So how long does the indexing process take for a large amount of music files? This needs to be clarified as there are apparently two separate things going on here based on some of your product literature. In the product literature it is stated that the indexing process begins immediately after a file is added, i.e. when connected to the computer via USB. However there is no mention of how long you need to leave it alone and stay connected to the computer after the files are added. Then, when starting either the iPad app or the iPad's browser, another very lengthy process of indexing (discovery) and thumb nailing begins, this is when the G-Connect is no longer attached to the computer via USB. Since the last software and app update, I no longer ever under any circumstances see the grey text box which used to show that process of discovery and thumb nailing was underway, it simply never appears even after I know I've added new content. On a related mystery, if the G-Connect is started in wireless mode (after having added content and then disconnecting from the computer/USB) it will seemingly go into some sort of indexing or other lengthy procedure evidenced by it's HDD light flickering for a good while before ending. This happens without any Ethernet connection. Once done, if you then attach the Ethernet cable, it happens all over again, first where it is looking for firmware updates (evidenced by the Ethernet light blinking) and then when that is done it looks like another indexing procedure launches as the HDD light flickers again for a good while. It would be immensely helpful if a better more comprehensive description of the index/discovery/thumb nailing process were provided by you, in all modes of connection what then happens and for approximately how long given various amounts of data.

User

Postby MikeyFresh » Oct 8th, '12, 09:51

My last post was on August 12th, I asked some very specific questions about the file discovery/index/thumbnail process, both when connected via USB to the computer, and when connected via wireless, and finally when Ethernet is attached. I gave you very specific behaviors I've noted when doing the above, and asked for clarification on what I need to do to allow this process to work properly. It is now October 8th, when might there be an answer to help end users better understand how to use this product?

User

Postby MikeyFresh » Nov 17th, '12, 14:56

Another month + goes with no answers of any kind?
Why would you blatantly dare loyal G-Tech buyers to switch to Seagate or some other perfectly good alternative? Why do you think it's OK to provide zero support on known issues for months on end?
Bravo Western Digital, you've done a very nice speedy job of ruining the good G-Tech name.
Take a bow, this is EASILY the worst tech support I've ever received on any purchase of anything ever.
Too bad, Hitachi made really nice hard drives.

Administrator

Postby Adrian C » Nov 19th, '12, 12:14

Hi MikeyFresh,

I have just sent you a Private Message, if you could reply to that I would be grateful.

Thank you

Adrian C
G-Technology Support

Return to Tips & Tricks

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php