Drive quits

User

Drive quits

Postby pilcrow » Dec 31st, '12, 10:51

i'm using a Mac Pro, v10.6.8 Dual-Core Intel Xeon. I bought the G-Drive mini (1TB) to use as my Time Machine backup drive. But just as the backup process finishes the drive disappears from my desktop and I get a message that I should have ejected the drive before disconnecting and the backup will not take place. The drive is still powered up, however. I've gone through this three times now (rebooting each time). Consequently, nothing has been backed up onto Time Machine. The file that shows up there is inaccessible. What's going on?

User

Re: Drive quits

Postby pilcrow » Jan 1st, '13, 10:08

May I assume the previous three posts are either a New Year's prank or else someone phishing? Thanks for nothing.

Postby Gene G » Jan 2nd, '13, 08:35

Hi pilcrow,

Thanks for your post. Does the G-DRIVE Mini unmount itself only during a TM backup? Have you tried other cables or ports? Have you tried deleting the latest TM backup and try again? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby pilcrow » Jan 2nd, '13, 08:59

Thanks for the reply, Gene. I don't know how to explain this, but after the first three failed attempts, everything seems to be working now. TM has successfully begun its hourly backups and the G-Drive is going great guns; I guess it just needed to get its feet wet. I appreciate your suggestions, but it seems they are not needed. Again, thanks for your reply and this forum.

User

Postby Ravenwood » Feb 26th, '13, 18:36

I have a G Drive mini Gen 4 attached to my new Mac Book Pro Retina from firewire 800 to a thunderbolt adapter. I do not use it for backup but just to store photos since I am a photographer. At least once a day, it quits on it's own with the dialogue box saying that I should have ejected the drive before disconnecting. My OSX is 10.8.2. Is there a patch or an upgrade to cure this or is it trouble with firewire 800 to thunderbolt port? I didn't have this problem on my old Mac Book Pro.

Postby Dustin F » Feb 27th, '13, 08:25

Hi Ravenwood,

Thanks for posting. Have you tried as Gene previously stated swapping the firewire cable? Does this happen at random intervals or when you are doing something specific? Does it also unmount when using usb? Please let me know if any of these work or not.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE mini

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php