Upgrading G-SAFE Drive Modules

User

Upgrading G-SAFE Drive Modules

Postby jayagee » Nov 23rd, '12, 05:11

Purchased a G-SAFE 2-Drive system >>3 yr ago w/3x 500 GB drive modules.
I need to upgrade to 3x 1TB drive modules. What are my options?

<JAG>

Re: Upgrading G-SAFE Drive Modules

Postby Gene G » Nov 26th, '12, 10:24

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your post. Depending on the chipset and firmware revision, you may be able to go as large as 2TB drives. If you could let me know the part number on your G-SAFE, along with what the display indicates at startup, I could let you know. Let me know what the LCD display says, such as G-SAFE GEN? and firmware V1XX.XXXX. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby jayagee » Nov 26th, '12, 10:48

Bottom of unit:
P/N 0G00241
S/N W701260002

Startup Display:
Gen3
V100.1006

Postby Gene G » Nov 26th, '12, 10:59

Thanks Jay. You can use drives up to 2TB with your unit, it has the Oxford 924 chipset. Make sure you use 2 drives the same and you should be fine. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby groverstudio » Nov 28th, '12, 07:13

I have 2 units with one drive that while not "dead" has given 2 notices of problems. All 4 drives within the units are duplicating all my photo data--so If I update one drive to a larger size to begin with, and always keep it in the lower slot to be rebuilt using the upper slot drives, will that work?

110.0503 Gen 4 is the note on the front of my drive on startup. Can I use a 4TB drive in the lower slot and keep the other 2TB units for now? I hate to have to RMA the unit for the one drive issue.

Postby Gene G » Nov 28th, '12, 15:05

Hi Groverstudio,

Thanks for your post. Your G-SAFE has the proper chipset and firmware to support the larger volumes like the 4TB drives. If you do upgrade to 4TB drives, you will need to do both drives at the same time. This is because if you use a larger, say 4TB drive, and use it with a 2TB drive, it will only use 2TB of the drive, it will match the size of the other drive. If you want to have the data on the newer, larger volume, then I suggest you copy the data from the 2TB drives in one enclosure, and the 4TB drives in another enclosure. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby ericjlawson » Jul 5th, '14, 08:48

Hi,

I have a G-Safe drive with 2 x 1GB modules. I have had this system for quite a few years now. I am trying to use 2 x 2GB SATA3 drives to upgrade it as I am running on 1 disk. I had a failure a couple f years ago at which time I purchased a G-SAFE replacement. However, at around £180-£200 for 1 TB I thought I could simply replace the drive myself.

The info on the startup screen is

G-SAFE
RAID-1 V.36.B16

Am I going to be able to use these disks. As I was already on 1TB disks I had just assumed it would take 1 2TB disk.

I have first initialised the new disks by connecting them to my Mac first and using Disk Utility to make them Mac OS Extended (journaled).

However, the status on both new disks, when inserted is FAILED.

Postby Dustin F » Jul 7th, '14, 09:22

Hi ericjlawson,

Thanks for posting. The unit should have no problem with the the 2TB capacity. You may want to try inserting the drives with the unit on rather than off. Sometimes the unit does not always detect new drives correctly when inserted in an off state. You will usually be prompted from the g-safe to initialize the drives, you will have about 10 seconds to hit the ent button on the front of the unit.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby ericjlawson » Jul 8th, '14, 12:15

Thanks for the response Dustin.

I powered up the drives and tried powering it up, after first inserting the drives whilst it was powered down and they both showed OK.

I have since started a copy of data to the drives (after renaming the logical drive on the Mac Desktop) and after about 2gb of data transfer I checked the LED on the G-SAFE.

Its now showing Drive 1: FAILED and Drive 2: OK and prompting for me to rebuild 1 from 2.

The data transfer using standard finder Windows drag and copy is still in progress.

Postby Dustin F » Jul 9th, '14, 09:30

Hi ericjlawson,

I would let the copy finish, once it has let the g-safe do the rebuild. If it fails to rebuild then that drive may be faulty.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-SAFE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php