4TB G-RAID won't mount, now shows up as 2 "My Books"

User

4TB G-RAID won't mount, now shows up as 2 "My Books"

Postby gbheffernan » Jun 12th, '14, 22:51

Been using the 4TB G-Raid Thunderbolt drive for a few months now without error but a few hours after safely shutting down computer and G-Raid drive, I turned it back on --- but my Mac now reads "disc you inserted not readable by this computer"

I tried a few more times with the same result until now -- 2 Orange Empty 2 TB Directories named "My Book" mount on my desktop -- with zero files in them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

Re: 4TB G-RAID won't mount, now shows up as 2 "My Books"

Postby Dustin F » Jun 13th, '14, 08:05

Hi gbheffernan,

Thanks for posting. There was an issue with Western Digital software thinking third party drives were mybooks and reformatting them, however it happened inconsistently. I suggest checking your applications and startup items for any western digital software to prevent this from happening in the future. These often were preinstalled on WD drives and had a tendency to install themselves so even if you don't have a WD drives if someone you knew plugged one in the software may have been placed on the system. If your data was backed up you can recreate the raid using disk utility. If the data was not backed up, you should look into data recovery software that can reference raid drives. I suggest R-Studio for this. There is a free demo available and have seen it work on advanced raids.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby gbheffernan » Jun 15th, '14, 21:40

OK, thanks for the quick reply. Definitely a nightmare I'm trying to awaken from!

Bought R-Studio and I've been speaking with them about using the software to create a "Virtual RAID" so that files can be accessed and rescued. They said I need to know the original RAID settings for the Drive, including "Block Size" and "Offset" (in Vectors). Do you have this information, by any chance.

Thanks,

Gavin

Postby Dustin F » Jun 16th, '14, 10:01

Gavin,

I don't have that information off hand. It may depend on the model. What is the p/n on the unit? If I get that I may be able to get the into.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby gbheffernan » Jun 16th, '14, 11:09

S/N TR2134202980

THANKS!

Postby Dustin F » Jun 17th, '14, 07:28

Gavin,

I apologize, on my last post I forgot it was a G-Raid thunderbolt. It would have been a software raid setup with disk utility so if you let R-Studio know that they may already have those specs on hand otherwise you should be able to get the specs from apple. I do not have those specifications on hand.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php