GRAID Ejecting Itself Randomly

User

Re: GRAID Ejecting Itself Randomly

Postby tony+breuer » Mar 27th, '14, 13:01

I am having the same problem with two 4 TB GRaids on a mac. Connected via esata. They randomly unmount. I tried resetting the pram. It does the same thing. However, when I connect them via Firewire 800 there is no problem. I tried swapping esata cables and esata power supplies and esata ports on the computer. No matter what I do they run OK for a while and then eject themselves. A major PITA. I'e had G-Raids for many years until this and never had a problem. Using the firewire really slows me down editing on an Avid Symphony. 6.0.4.x MAC OSX 8.5

What should I do?

Tony Breuer

Postby Dustin F » Mar 28th, '14, 08:15

Hi Tony,

Thanks for posting. We usually do not see any issue with esata. Do other drives work alright on that same esata card? If so it may be a problem with the esata controller, and can see about having it replaced under warranty.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby gseamans » May 15th, '14, 07:02

I have several G-RAID GEN4 2TB drives and 4TB drives connected to a Mac Pro running OS 10.7.5. Yesterday, while trying to back-up VERY IMPORTANT files from one of the drives, it just dismounted and I got the "your drive was ejected improperly" message. I tried swapping cables (multiple FW800 and USB), swapping ports, and swapping machines, but had the same results each time: while trying to copy a file from this drive to another, it would dismount. I did manage to move a small file (495kb) on the drive from folder to another, but when I tried to move a larger file (5mb) the system hung up the file transfer bar and after a minute or so, the drive dismounted. Could this be a controller problem? I can see all the folders on the drive when it initially mounts up, but if I try to open a folder it can take minutes to open, and sometimes causes the drive to dismount.

Any thoughts?

Gary Seamans

Postby Dustin F » May 15th, '14, 07:16

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting. Since the drive seems to mainly be ejecting while you are trying to transfer data you may want to check the power adapter you are using with it. The out on it should list as 12v 4a. I sometimes see this behavior when people have mixed up the power adapters and are using a 12v 2a adapter with it.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby gseamans » May 15th, '14, 07:45

Hey Dustin,

All 5 GTech drives use the 12v 4a power adapter. I tried switching out power adapters and got the same problem of the drive ejecting itself.

Postby Dustin F » May 16th, '14, 07:33

Hi Gary,

If the power adapter is correct and the problem persists on fw and usb the issue is likely the controller card of the enclosure. You are trying to transfer data to it not off of it correct? Would suggest sending in for RMA if the drive is within warranty.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Previous

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php