Firewire 800 ports not working, Only USB

User

Firewire 800 ports not working, Only USB

Postby olivercado » May 3rd, '14, 13:42

My G-Drive Mobile FW800x2, USBx1 500gb drive's firewire 800 ports no longer work. The USB connection does work but I need the faster Firewire800 port(s) for digital audio studio work. It was used in a recording studio with an older PowerMac G5 dual-core tower with Avid ProTools 7 LE and Mbox (Firewire connected). After hours of research, I found the PowerMac G5's have often Firewire issues and have to be rest via various methods (P-RAM reset, NV-RAM reset, SMU reset, etc. How can I reset the ports on the mobile HD and/or diagnose/analyze the external drives ports with a particular APP that you can suggest? PLEASE ADVISE ASAP.

Re: Firewire 800 ports not working, Only USB

Postby Dustin F » May 5th, '14, 07:19

Hi olivercado,

Thanks for posting. Have you confirmed that the issue is the drive? Have you tried alternate firewire cables or tried it on a different computer with firewire 800. Conversely have you tried any other firewire devices on the same computer to make sure the computers port is working?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby olivercado » May 12th, '14, 20:10

Yes, I have tried all those different options. I own 2 more of the same drive. Unfortunately, the warranty is expired so I can't return it. What's the cost of repairing the FW800 ports or internal controller card?

Postby Dustin F » May 13th, '14, 07:28

Hi olivercado,

Unfortunately we do not offer any out of warranty repair service, only replacement if within warranty. We do know of a few businesses that offer repair on our units out of warranty. You can find the list of them here http://support.g-technology.com/warrant ... ty_support
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE mobile

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php